A very basic question about matrix operations

In summary: I think I understand now. Thanks for the clarification!In summary, you can do more than one row operation at a time provided that you do not overwrite old entries.
Regtic
This is a very basic question that I've been too embarassed to ask my elementary linear algebra teacher this far into the course:

Lets say we have a matrix

[tex]
\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 2 \\
2 & 1 \\
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]Why can't we do something like ##R_2 - 2R_1## and ##R_1 - \frac {1}{2} R_2## at the same time? We would be multiplying each row by a multiple of the other. My teacher always does more than one row operation at a time. What is it that I'm missing?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Regtic said:
This is a very basic question that I've been too embarassed to ask my elementary linear algebra teacher this far into the course:

[tex]
\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 2 \\
2 & 1 \\
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

Why can't we do something like ##R_2 - 2R_1## and ##R_1 - \frac {1}{2} R_2## at the same time? We would be multiplying each row by a multiple of the other. My teacher always does more than one row operations at a time. What is it that I'm missing?
Re-read your post. I think you made a mis-statement in the highlighted sentence.

SammyS said:
Re-read your post. I think you made a mis-statement in the highlighted sentence.

I edited it and forgot to fix the the plurality. Sorry.

Regtic said:
I edited it and forgot to fix the the plurality. Sorry.

Don't you mean that you teacher never does more than one row operation at a time ?

Read the OP again.

SammyS said:
Don't you mean that you teacher never does more than one row operation at a time ?

Read the OP again.

No he does it all the time, are you not allowed? I've done it on tests and never got marks off for it.

I guess that explains that. LOL

Are we 100% sure it's not allowed even if you follow some rules? I know he does it, there must be some rules he's following so he doesn't mess up

Regtic said:
No he does it all the time, are you not allowed? I've done it on tests and never got marks off for it.

Well, if your teacher does more than one row operation at a time, I would think it is clear that it's fine to do.

And, yes it is fine to do. Just be careful.

SammyS said:
Well, if your teacher does more than one row operation at a time, I would think it is clear that it's fine to do.And, yes it is fine to do. Just be careful.

Careful how? Is the only thing we need to watch out for accidently creating a row/column of zeros?

Regtic said:
Careful how? Is the only thing we need to watch out for accidently creating a row/column of zeros?

Yes, that sort of thing.

Likes 1 person
Regtic said:

[tex]
\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 2 \\
2 & 1 \\
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

Why can't we do something like ##R_2 - 2R_1## and ##R_1 - \frac {1}{2} R_2## at the same time? We would be multiplying each row by a multiple of the other. My teacher always does more than one row operation at a time. What is it that I'm missing?

You CAN do more than one row operation at the same time, provided that you do not overwrite the old entries by the new ones---doing that would create the unsolvable dilemma of modifying row 2 by adding a multiple of row 1 but modifying row 1 by adding a multiple of row 2 (but row 2 has already been modified using row 1 and row 1 ha been modified by row 2 ... it just never ends). The two operations you pose would be done at the same time by left-multiplying by the matrix
[tex] \pmatrix{1 & -1/2 \\-2 & 1}[/tex]

Ray Vickson said:
You CAN do more than one row operation at the same time, provided that you do not overwrite the old entries by the new ones---doing that would create the unsolvable dilemma of modifying row 2 by adding a multiple of row 1 but modifying row 1 by adding a multiple of row 2 (but row 2 has already been modified using row 1 and row 1 ha been modified by row 2 ... it just never ends). The two operations you pose would be done at the same time by left-multiplying by the matrix
[tex] \pmatrix{1 & -1/2 \\-2 & 1}[/tex]

So I just can't modify a row that I'm adding to another one?

Regtic said:
So I just can't modify a row that I'm adding to another one?

It would depend on the order in which you do things, and whether or not you overwrite old entries with new ones, etc.

Ray Vickson said:
It would depend on the order in which you do things, and whether or not you overwrite old entries with new ones, etc.

That sounds vague. There's no way to know if I'm messing up without experience?

Edit: I think I kind of get it though, I've been doing it for a while. I was just wondering why it wouldn't work if I did both of those operations at the same time. What I'm really doing is multiple matrix operations in one matrix, and I just need to keep track of which coefficients I'm using in each operation. In the example above, ##R_1 - \frac {1}{2} R_2## , the coefficients for ##R_2## would have to come from the second matrix that would follow the first operation ##R_2 - 2R_1##. I just asked this because I wasn't really sure how to get rid of that paradox if we were technically allowed to do more than one operation at a time.

Last edited:

1. What are the basic operations that can be performed on matrices?

The basic operations that can be performed on matrices include addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

2. How do I add or subtract two matrices?

To add or subtract two matrices, the matrices must have the same dimension (number of rows and columns). You simply add or subtract the corresponding elements in the matrices to get the resulting matrix.

3. Can I multiply two matrices of any dimension?

No, for two matrices to be multiplied, the number of columns in the first matrix must be equal to the number of rows in the second matrix. The resulting matrix will have the dimensions of the first matrix's rows and the second matrix's columns.

4. What is the identity matrix and how is it useful?

The identity matrix is a square matrix with 1s on the main diagonal and 0s everywhere else. When a matrix is multiplied by the identity matrix, the resulting matrix is the original matrix. It is useful in matrix operations as it acts as a neutral element, similar to how 1 is the neutral element in multiplication.

5. What is the inverse of a matrix?

The inverse of a matrix is another matrix that, when multiplied with the original matrix, results in the identity matrix. Not all matrices have an inverse, and a matrix can only have one inverse. The inverse of a matrix is useful in solving systems of linear equations and in finding the determinants of matrices.