1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A very long uniform line of charge has a charge per unit length of 4.82 uC/m

1. Feb 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A very long uniform line of charge has charge per unit length 4.82 uC/m and lies along the x-axis. A second long uniform line of charge has charge per unit length -2.46 uC/m and is parallel to the x-axis at y1= 0.418
    1-)What is the magnitude of the net electric field at point y2= 0.202 m on the y-axis?
    2-)What is the direction of the net electric field at point y2= 0.202 m on the y-axis?
    -y-axis
    +y-axis
    3-)What is the magnitude of the net electric field at point y3= 0.608 m on the y-axis?
    4-)What is the direction of the net electric field at point y3 = 0.608 m on the y-axis?
    -y-axis
    +y-axis

2. Relevant equations

EA=PA/epsilon-nought
    E=kq/r2

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't really know where to start.
    At first I tried to do E=(k*dq)/r^2 = k(4.82e-6)/(x^2+.202^2)
    But then realized that I don't have a definite integral. Then I tried to use E=(kq1/r1)+(kq2/r2)... but the answer was incorrect. Anyone know how to start this problem..?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook