1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Abelian group w/ 1000 elements?

1. Sep 24, 2008 #1
    Abelian group w/ 1000 elements?

My guess is...

Z mod 100 under addition.

I am new to algebra though...any thoughts?

Also, what about multiplication?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Z mod 100 under addition is a group. But it has 100 elements, not 1000. Z mod 100 under multiplication isn't even a group. Why not? Do you just want an example of a group with 1000 elements?

4. Sep 25, 2008 #3
    Ahh, Z mod 1000 has a thousand elements and under addition is a group? How am I supposed to check a*(b*c)=(a*b)*c? Also, is it abelian?

Under mult., I don't know how to check either. I checked a small table and it worked...

I feel like any group of order n is isomorphic to Z mod n under addition (and/or mult) but I cannot find this in my book. I remember my prof saying it though.

5. Sep 25, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Z mod 1000 is associative because (Z,+) is associative. And it's commutative, since (Z,+) is commutative. Under multiplication 0*a=0 for all a and 10*100=0. Thinks like that are going to pose problems for the inverse property of a group. You can't find the statement that any group of order is isomorphic to Z mod n in your book because it's not true. It isn't even true for abelian groups. It's only true if n is prime.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?