About a mixture of gases and the equilibrium distribution

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
luisgml_2000
Messages
42
Reaction score
0
Hello:

I've been reading about the Maxwell Boltzmann distribution for a dilute gas. One of the hypotheses to get this result is that there is only a chemical species within the box, but what would happen if you put a mixture of gases, say two or three, each of which is very dilute and you waited enough time for the system to reach the equilibrium?

Since the Boltzmann distribution is a universal function, I think that the equilibrium distribution function for the gas mixture will be very similar to the case of a single gas, but I can't find an argument for it.

Thanks for your attention!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If there are no chemical reactions between gases, you can apply the hypotheses to each species in the mixture separatedly. Anh then you add them up.