About chemical engineering and petrochemical

In summary, the speaker is a student in grade 12 who loves chemistry and wants to become a chemist. However, due to various reasons, they have decided to pursue a degree in engineering instead. They are considering petrochemical engineering as the only available option, but are also interested in renewable energy engineering. The speaker is advised to focus on a good education rather than a specific type of engineering, as all engineers require a strong foundation in science and math. The speaker is also encouraged to follow their talents and interests when making a decision. The speaker is reminded that renewable energy engineering was once a trendy field, but it is important to thoroughly research and compare study programs before making a decision.
abdo799
I am in grade 12 now and I love chemistry and i wanted to be a chemist , but for some reasons i can't go to science school, so instead i decided that to go to engineering school and become a chemical engineer , but then again i had another problem , they only thing available for now is petrochemical engineering, are the 2 different from each other ? is it worth it or should i just go for it and be a renewable energy engineer instead?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you in the United States going to school?

Wellesley said:
Are you in the United States going to school?

No, i am no in the us, i live in egypt

Lots of sunshine in Egypt. Weatherwise I mean. I hope you can still work on a good education in the more gloomy political climate.

As to being a specific kind of engineer: don't make a big point of it. A good education at one thing is better than a poor education at something else, even if your work is closer to the something else. All engineers need to carry a big chunk of science and math, topped off with some specialization. The latter can always be transformed to an adjacent -- or even completely different one. Follow your talents and your heart.

I am a physicist (not even an engineer) and work in a chemical engineering environment, as a process modeller. I am as snug as a bug in a rug there (meaning the work is great and the industrial setting with its haste and money fixation is something I take for granted...).

Renewable energy engineering was fashionable when I went to university (1971): they did flywheels, windmills, solar, what have you. I am glad I did thorough physics. By now the situation will be much more mature. Get you hands on the study programs you are interested in and compare them. If you insist on prioritizing, use your personal preferences as weights.

Good luck!

Likes 1 person

First of all, it's great to hear that you have a passion for chemistry and are considering a career in chemical engineering. Chemical engineering and petrochemical engineering are closely related fields, but they do have some key differences. Chemical engineering focuses on the development and design of processes and products involving chemicals, while petrochemical engineering specifically deals with the production and refining of petroleum-based products.

Both fields involve the use of chemistry principles, but petrochemical engineering is more specialized and may involve working with large-scale equipment and processes in the oil and gas industry. On the other hand, renewable energy engineering involves the development and implementation of sustainable energy sources, such as solar, wind, and hydro power.

Ultimately, the decision between petrochemical engineering and renewable energy engineering should depend on your interests and career goals. If you are passionate about the oil and gas industry and want to work with chemicals on a large scale, then petrochemical engineering may be a good fit for you. However, if you are more interested in developing renewable energy sources and promoting sustainability, then renewable energy engineering may be a better choice.

It's important to keep in mind that your career path is not set in stone and you can always make changes and switch fields in the future. Consider researching and exploring both fields to gain a better understanding of what they involve and what opportunities are available. It may also be helpful to speak with professionals in both fields to get their insights and advice.

In the end, the most important thing is to pursue a career that you are passionate about and will make you happy. Both chemical engineering and renewable energy engineering offer exciting and rewarding opportunities, so trust your instincts and make the decision that feels right for you.

1. What is chemical engineering?

Chemical engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the design, development, and operation of industrial processes that involve the transformation of raw materials into useful products. These processes often involve chemical reactions and the use of various equipment and technologies to achieve the desired products.

2. What is the difference between chemical engineering and petrochemical engineering?

Chemical engineering is a broad field that encompasses the production of a wide range of products, while petrochemical engineering specifically focuses on the production of chemicals and fuels derived from petroleum and natural gas. Petrochemical engineering is a subset of chemical engineering.

3. What are some examples of petrochemical products?

Examples of petrochemical products include plastics, fertilizers, synthetic fibers, detergents, and pharmaceuticals. These products are all derived from petroleum and natural gas through various chemical processes.

4. What are some career opportunities in chemical engineering and petrochemical industries?

Career opportunities in chemical engineering and petrochemical industries include process engineer, research and development scientist, plant manager, quality control engineer, and environmental engineer. There are also opportunities in areas such as consulting, sales, and marketing for chemical and petrochemical products.

5. How does chemical engineering contribute to sustainability in the petrochemical industry?

Chemical engineers play a crucial role in developing more sustainable processes and products in the petrochemical industry. This includes reducing waste and emissions, increasing energy efficiency, and developing alternative feedstocks and technologies. Chemical engineers also work to improve the safety and environmental impact of petrochemical production processes.