Is the Sun truly the center of the universe?

• Thread starter young e.
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Infinity
In summary, the concept of infinity exists in mathematical and logical systems, but it is uncertain if any physical quantity can truly be infinite. The idea of infinity is useful and can be studied, but its existence in the physical world is debatable.
young e.
i think maybe this question was posted in this furoms for so many times but i want to ask it again in my own version..
d' question goes like ths..
is there such thing as infinity?
i mean for example, infinite time or infinite quantity of space or matter?
if so, then how could it be?

THE PROPOSITION THAT THE SUN IS THE CENTRE OF THE UNIVERSE AND DOES NOT MOVE FROM ITS PLACE IS ABSURD AND FALSE PHILOSOPHICALLY AND FORMALLY HERETICAL BECAUSE IT IS EXPRESSLY CONTRARY TO THE HOLY SCRIPTURE.

THE HOLY OFFICE

Physics news on Phys.org
There's an infinity of numbers so yes, there is such a thing. I don't know for sure if there is an infinity of time but it seems credible. You ask "how could it be?" but I have to ask how can it be otherwise?

"Infinity" is just a mathematical or logic entity. It's a concept which exists only in our minds, as part of a larger logical structure. It's certinaly possible that nothing in the physical world is actually infinite, but that doesn't mean infinity doesn't possesses well-defined properties, or isn't useful. In the same way, perfect circles do not exist in the physical world -- they exist only in our heads -- but their study remains quite useful.

- Warren

Last edited:
no there isn't. numbers do not exist. there is a finite number of molcules in the universe, a finuite number of neurons in your brain. if you believe in infinity you are delusional.

(of course you can still TALK about infinity, as we all do. but that doesn't mean it exists.)

hows them apricots?:tongue2:

You're a little cheeky tonight, aren't you mathwonk?

- Warren

mathwonk said:
if you believe in infinity you are delusional.
I suffer from the delusion of an infinite number of seconds: I don't think time can end.

young e. said:
is there such thing as infinity?
As others have noted, there is undoubtedly such a thing as infinity in one sense of the word-- it exists abstractly as a component of some mathematical / logical systems.

If you meant to ask whether there might be some physical quantity that is infinite, that is a question for scientists to answer, not philosophers.

What is infinity?

Infinity refers to a concept of endlessness or boundlessness. It is often symbolized by the ∞ symbol and is used in mathematics, philosophy, and physics to describe something that has no limit or end.

Can infinity be measured?

No, infinity cannot be measured in a traditional sense as it is an abstract concept. However, mathematicians and scientists use various mathematical techniques and theories to study and understand infinity.

How does infinity relate to the universe?

There is no scientific evidence that the universe is infinite. However, some theories suggest that the universe may be infinite in size and expand forever. Additionally, the concept of infinity is used in cosmology to explore the origin and structure of the universe.

Is infinity a number?

No, infinity is not a number. It is a concept that represents something without an end or limit. In mathematics, infinity is often used to describe numbers that are infinitely large or small, but it is not considered an actual number.

What is the difference between potential and actual infinity?

Potential infinity refers to a process or sequence that continues indefinitely, such as counting numbers or dividing a number by smaller and smaller units. Actual infinity, on the other hand, refers to a completed infinite set, such as all the numbers on a number line. It is a debated philosophical concept and is not accepted in all branches of mathematics.