Understanding Forces Between Molecules and Temperature Changes in Substances

• Thread starter harimakenji
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matter
In summary: I am not sure if my answer is right so I asked for confirmation. But I think my answers are correct.In summary, the substance will absorb heat energy and internal energy increases.
harimakenji
about "matter"

Homework Statement

1. The forces between molecules in a substance are primarily
a. electrical
b. gravitational
c. chemical
d. mechanical

2. If a substance is heated
a. the molecules lose potential energy
b. the molecules lose kinetic energy
c. the temperature determines the quantity of internal energy
d. the internal energy of the substance is increased

3. Which one is right if the liquid is mercury
a.
109.jpg

b. http://wikipremed.com/image_science_archive_th/010108_th/117850_256px-CapillaryAction.svg_68.jpg (only observe first two tubes from right)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1. answer : a
reason : not sure, just read it somewhere and don't know why. Can someone please explain it why?

2. between (a) and (d), but I chose (d).
reason : if the substance is heated, it will absorbs heat energy and internal energy increases?

3. the difference between first and second picture is the height of mercury. In picture (a), the smaller the tube, the mercury will rise closer to to the surface. In picture (b), the smaller the tube (the right-most tube), the mercury will drop further from the surface.
My answer : second picture is correct because the smaller the tube, cohesion will be bigger and mercury molecules will attract each other more and cause the it to drop further.

Please help me. Thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org

please help me

harimakenji said:
1. The forces between molecules in a substance are primarily
a. electrical
b. gravitational
c. chemical
d. mechanical

It's so badly worded. All chemical bonds/intermolecular forces are electrical. It's common to say that solids are held together by electrostatic forces in the sense that electrons are shared across atoms. (Think covalent, ionic, metallic.)

Those forces aren't what is asked for though, because they say "between molecules". The intermolecular forces arise from electric dipoles rather than sharing of electrons. So someone could call them "chemical forces" if they wanted to. Just be prepared to argue either way.

presbyope said:
It's so badly worded. All chemical bonds/intermolecular forces are electrical. It's common to say that solids are held together by electrostatic forces in the sense that electrons are shared across atoms. (Think covalent, ionic, metallic.)

Those forces aren't what is asked for though, because they say "between molecules". The intermolecular forces arise from electric dipoles rather than sharing of electrons. So someone could call them "chemical forces" if they wanted to. Just be prepared to argue either way.

OK, I think I get what you mean. Can you please help me on other questions?

Thank you very much

harimakenji said:
OK, I think I get what you mean. Can you please help me on other questions?

Thank you very much

But you already answered the other questions! Have some confidence.

presbyope said:
But you already answered the other questions! Have some confidence.

I am not sure if my answer is right so I asked for confirmation. But I think my answers are correct.

Thank you very much for your help

1. What are intermolecular forces and how do they affect temperature changes in substances?

Intermolecular forces are the attractive or repulsive interactions between molecules. They play a crucial role in determining the physical properties of substances, including their melting and boiling points. These forces can either hold molecules together in a solid or liquid state, or cause them to break apart into a gas. The strength of intermolecular forces can also affect the amount of energy required to change the temperature of a substance.

2. How does temperature affect the strength of intermolecular forces?

As temperature increases, the kinetic energy of molecules also increases, causing them to move more rapidly. This increased movement can weaken or even break intermolecular forces, leading to changes in the physical state of a substance. For example, as the temperature of a solid increases, the intermolecular forces holding it together may weaken, causing it to melt into a liquid.

3. What is the relationship between intermolecular forces and boiling point?

The strength of intermolecular forces is directly related to a substance's boiling point. Substances with strong intermolecular forces will require more energy to overcome these forces and reach their boiling point. In contrast, substances with weaker intermolecular forces will have a lower boiling point, as less energy is needed to break apart the molecules into a gas state.

4. Can intermolecular forces be manipulated to change the properties of a substance?

Yes, intermolecular forces can be manipulated through various methods such as changing the temperature, pressure, or adding other substances. For example, adding a solute to a solvent can disrupt the intermolecular forces between solvent molecules, leading to a decrease in the boiling point of the solution. This principle is used in industries such as food preservation and pharmaceuticals.

5. How do intermolecular forces differ from chemical bonds?

Intermolecular forces are weaker than chemical bonds, which are the forces holding atoms together within a molecule. While chemical bonds involve the sharing or transfer of electrons between atoms, intermolecular forces are purely based on the attraction or repulsion between molecules. Chemical bonds determine the chemical identity of a substance, while intermolecular forces affect its physical properties.