Exploring the Kinetic Energy Operator: Why is it Differentiated Twice?

In summary, operators are linear operators that map vectors in a Hilbert space to another vector in the same space. The kinetic energy operator is represented as T = p2/2m = -ħ2/2m (∂2/∂x2) and some may wonder why it is not represented as -ħ2/2m (∂/∂x)2. However, these are just different notations for the same thing: the 2nd derivative is the square of the 1st derivative. This notation is commonly used in mathematical physics.
Mayan Fung
When I learned about operators, I learned <x> = ∫ Ψ* x Ψ dx, <p> = ∫ Ψ* (ħ/i ∂/∂x) Ψ dx. The book then told me the kinetic energy operator

T = p2/2m = -ħ2/2m (∂2/∂x2)
I am just think that why isn't it -ħ2/2m (∂/∂x)2
Put in other words, why isn't it the square of the derivative, but differentiating it twice?

Physics news on Phys.org
Chan Pok Fung said:
When I learned about operators, I learned <x> = ∫ Ψ* x Ψ dx, <p> = ∫ Ψ* (ħ/i ∂/∂x) Ψ dx. The book then told me the kinetic energy operator

T = p2/2m = -ħ2/2m (∂2/∂x2)
I am just think that why isn't it -ħ2/2m (∂/∂x)2
Put in other words, why isn't it the square of the derivative, but differentiating it twice?
They're just different notations for the same thing: the 2nd derivative is the square of the 1st derivative.
Cf. 2nd derivative.

Likes Mayan Fung
As the name suggests operators operate on the Hilbert space vectors. They are linear operators mapping ##|\psi \rangle \in \mathcal{H}## to another vector ##\hat{A} |\psi \rangle \in \mathcal{H}##. By definition the product of two operators is the composition of these operations, i.e., ##\hat{B} \hat{A}|\psi \rangle## first maps ##|\psi \rangle## to ##\hat{A} |\psi \rangle## and then this vector to ##\hat{B}(\hat{A} |\psi \rangle)=\hat{B} \hat{A} |\psi \rangle##. Thus ##\partial_x^2=\partial_x \partial_x## applied to a position-space wave function means. You first take the derivative of the wave function and then take the derivative of the result again, i.e., you take the 2nd derivative of the wave function. Then the usual notation is
$$\left (\frac{\partial}{\partial x} \right)^2=\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}.$$

Likes Mayan Fung
Thanks all!

1. What is the kinetic energy operator?

The kinetic energy operator is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to describe the motion and energy of particles. It is denoted by the symbol T and is defined as the sum of the kinetic energies of all the particles in a system.

2. Why is the kinetic energy operator differentiated twice?

The kinetic energy operator is differentiated twice because it is based on the second-order derivative of the position of a particle. This is necessary to accurately describe the energy of a particle in motion, as it takes into account both the speed and acceleration of the particle.

3. What is the significance of the kinetic energy operator in quantum mechanics?

The kinetic energy operator is a fundamental part of the Schrödinger equation, which is used to describe the behavior of quantum systems. It is also used in many other equations and calculations in quantum mechanics, making it an essential concept for understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

4. How is the kinetic energy operator different from the potential energy operator?

The kinetic energy operator and the potential energy operator are two different mathematical operators used in quantum mechanics. While the kinetic energy operator describes the energy of a particle in motion, the potential energy operator describes the energy associated with the position of a particle in a potential field. They are differentiated in the Schrödinger equation by their respective symbols of T and V.

5. Can the kinetic energy operator be applied to macroscopic objects?

While the kinetic energy operator is primarily used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level, it can also be applied to macroscopic objects in certain cases. For example, it can be used to describe the motion and energy of a large group of particles, such as a gas, at a classical level.