Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I About operators

Tags:
  1. Oct 5, 2016 #1
    When I learnt about operators, I learnt <x> = ∫ Ψ* x Ψ dx, <p> = ∫ Ψ* (ħ/i ∂/∂x) Ψ dx. The book then told me the kinetic energy operator

T = p2/2m = -ħ2/2m (∂2/∂x2)
    I am just think that why isn't it -ħ2/2m (∂/∂x)2
    Put in other words, why isn't it the square of the derivative, but differentiating it twice?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2016 #2

strangerep

Science Advisor

They're just different notations for the same thing: the 2nd derivative is the square of the 1st derivative.
    Cf. 2nd derivative.

4. Oct 6, 2016 #3

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

As the name suggests operators operate on the Hilbert space vectors. They are linear operators mapping ##|\psi \rangle \in \mathcal{H}## to another vector ##\hat{A} |\psi \rangle \in \mathcal{H}##. By definition the product of two operators is the composition of these operations, i.e., ##\hat{B} \hat{A}|\psi \rangle## first maps ##|\psi \rangle## to ##\hat{A} |\psi \rangle## and then this vector to ##\hat{B}(\hat{A} |\psi \rangle)=\hat{B} \hat{A} |\psi \rangle##. Thus ##\partial_x^2=\partial_x \partial_x## applied to a position-space wave function means. You first take the derivative of the wave function and then take the derivative of the result again, i.e., you take the 2nd derivative of the wave function. Then the usual notation is
    $$\left (\frac{\partial}{\partial x} \right)^2=\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}.$$

5. Oct 9, 2016 #4
    Thanks all!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted