1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

About Separation of Variables for the Laplace Equation

1. Sep 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is a try for the solution of Laplace Equation. We have to calculate the potential distribution in a cylinder coordinate. However, there is a step really bring us trouble. Please go to the detail. You can either read it in the related URL, or in my PDF attachment..
    The uncompleted solution is:
    http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af335/hectoryx/Bessel001.jpg

2. Relevant equations

The method on the book is that:
    http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af335/hectoryx/Bessel002.jpg

3. The attempt at a solution

I really do not know what the basis of above equation is. Why can we get (2) from (1)? Does anyone give me any advice?
    Thanks in advance.

Regards

Hector

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You do exactly what they say you should do:

[tex]U_0=\sum_{m=0}^{\infty}A_m\sinh\left(\frac{P_m h}{a}\right)J_0\left(\frac{P_m r}{a}\right)[/tex]

[tex]\implies\int_0^a U_0 J_0\left(\frac{P_n r}{a}\right)rdr=\int_0^a \left[\sum_{m=0}^{\infty}A_m\sinh\left(\frac{P_m h}{a}\right)J_0\left(\frac{P_m r}{a}\right)\right] J_0\left(\frac{P_n r}{a}\right)rdr=\sum_{m=0}^{\infty}A_m\sinh\left(\frac{P_m h}{a}\right)\left[\int_0^aJ_0\left(\frac{P_m r}{a}\right) J_0\left(\frac{P_n r}{a}\right)rdr\right][/tex]

What does the orthoganality condition tell you about the integral on the RHS?

4. Sep 8, 2009 #3
    Wo, Thanks for your reply so soon!

I understood your means.

About the orthogonality condition, actually, there is one of the charactrestics of Bessel function, isn't it?

we have:

[tex]\int _0^{\alpha }J_0\left(\frac{P_mr}{\alpha }\right)J_0\left(\frac{P_nr}{\alpha }\right)rdr=0[/tex] if [tex]m\neq n[/tex]

where [tex]P_m[/tex] is the solution of Bessel Function [tex]J_0(x)=0[/tex]

Regards

Hector

5. Sep 8, 2009 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Right, so the only non-zero term in the sum

[tex]\sum_{m=0}^{\infty}A_m\sinh\left(\frac{P_m h}{a}\right)\left[\int_0^aJ_0\left(\frac{P_m r}{a}\right) J_0\left(\frac{P_n r}{a}\right)rdr\right][/tex]

will be the [itex]m=n[/itex] term.

[tex]\implies\int_0^a U_0 J_0\left(\frac{P_m r}{a}\right)rdr=A_m\sinh\left(\frac{P_m h}{a}\right)\int_0^a\left[J_0\left(\frac{P_m r}{a}\right)\right]^2 rdr[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook