About the Equivalence Principle

In summary: If potential is just a measure of how much work an object needs to be moved from one place to another, then wouldn't the higher potential object need less work to be moved to the same location as the lower potential object?From what I understand, time dilation due to gravity is happening because of the difference in gravity force at different distances from the source. How can an accelerating rocket scenario be an equivalent to this when in the rocket scenario both the emitter and the receiver are experiencing the same gravity force?The equivalence principle is saying that the force of gravity is the same for both the emitter and the receiver. So in that sense, they would both be experiencing the same "
JohnnyGui said:
Is the Equivalence Principle explanation some kind of alternative substitute for the gravitational potential explanation in case of a local scenario?

No. It's just a different way of looking at the same explanation (or a local approximation of it). See my post #29.

JohnnyGui said:
does this mean that if you apply the gravitational potential formula in your post for a local scenario, it would dilate the time by the same factor the Equivalence Principle would?

The gravitational potential formula is exact and applies over any height change, however small. The local EP formula is an approximation to it that only works for small enough height changes that no change in g is observable. So you are once again looking at it backwards: the question isn't whether the potential formula gives the same answer as the EP formula, the question is whether, and under what condtions, the EP formula (the approximation) gives the same answer (to within the desired accuracy) as the potential formula (the exact formula).

Physics news on Phys.org
PeterDonis said:
The equivalence principle can't tell you anything about the geometry of spacetime anyway, because by definition it only works in a small enough patch of spacetime that tidal gravity (which is the physical observation referred to by "the geometry of spacetime") is unobservable.

Basically, you're looking at things backwards. The geometry of spacetime is the fundamental entity in GR; the equivalence principle is just one of many possible approximations. You're trying to make the EP the fundamental entity and derive everything else from it. That won't work.
Yes, what you describe here was how I was considering EP previously. But I have already noticed and am aware that it only works in a small enough patch of spacetime which made me ask how gravitational potential mathematically proves time dilation. Vanhees71 replied to that but I still have yet to understand this different math problem.

PeterDonis said:
The gravitational potential formula is exact and applies over any height change, however small. The local EP formula is an approximation to it that only works for small enough height changes that no change in g is observable. So you are once again looking at it backwards: the question isn't whether the potential formula gives the same answer as the EP formula, the question is whether, and under what condtions, the EP formula (the approximation) gives the same answer (to within the desired accuracy) as the potential formula (the exact formula).

Ah, ok. So in case of an infinitesimal small g change, EP would give a sufficient approximation for the potential formula?

I think an analogue for what EP is for the Potential formula is what Newton's formulas are for relativistic ones.

JohnnyGui said:
in case of an infinitesimal small g change, EP would give a sufficient approximation for the potential formula?

Basically, yes.

JohnnyGui said:
I think an analogue for what EP is for the Potential formula is what Newton's formulas are for relativistic ones.

Not really. The Newtonian formulas are approximations to the relativistic ones that hold in a particular kind of spacetime, in which there is an isolated source of gravity surrounded by empty space, and in which the source of gravity is weak and all objects are moving slowly compared to the speed of light.

The EP is valid in a sufficiently small patch of any spacetime whatsoever; there is no limitation that gravity be weak or that objects be moving slowly. The only limitation is that the patch of spacetime be small enough that tidal gravity is not observable.

The equivalence principle is a heuristic principle that motivates the formulation of GR in terms of spacetime geometry. Mathematically it boils down to the assumption that spacetime is a pseudo-Riemannian manifold with a pseudometric of signature (1,3) (or equivalently (3,1)) and that test-point particles follow time-like (or null for "photons") geodesics if there's no other force than gravity.