Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

About uncertainty relationship

1. Jun 4, 2010 #1
    I have read some books about quantum physics.There are about too kinds of interpretation about uncertainty relationship.The first is that it consists in single measurement.However the other one is statistical explanation that it just consists in measuring repeatedly.I support the former because if the latter is true ,it is just the same as classical statistical mechanical.
    Does someone agree with me ?or Does someone have more reasonable interpretation .

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2010 #2

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

The uncertainty principle is not based on "measurement". One must not think that in a certain experiment a particle only "presents" its state with some uncertainty, e.g. its position and momentum.

Instead the state itself does not have the property of sharply defined position and momentum, even w/o any measurement. It is an intrinsic property of any quantum object.

4. Jun 4, 2010 #3

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I suggest you take a look at some of the other threads about this. There are lots of them, and most of them have "uncertainty principle" in the title. (The modern version is a theorem, not a principle, so I prefer to call it the uncertainty theorem or the uncertainty relation).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook