About uncertainty relationship

In summary, the conversation discusses the two interpretations of the uncertainty principle in quantum physics - one based on single measurements and the other based on statistical explanations. The speaker supports the former interpretation and questions if anyone agrees or has a more reasonable explanation. The conversation also touches on the misconception that the uncertainty principle is based on measurements, when in reality it is an intrinsic property of quantum objects. The conversation ends with a suggestion to refer to other discussions on the uncertainty principle for further understanding.
wengsee
I have read some books about quantum physics.There are about too kinds of interpretation about uncertainty relationship.The first is that it consists in single measurement.However the other one is statistical explanation that it just consists in measuring repeatedly.I support the former because if the latter is true ,it is just the same as classical statistical mechanical.
Does someone agree with me ?or Does someone have more reasonable interpretation .

Physics news on Phys.org
The uncertainty principle is not based on "measurement". One must not think that in a certain experiment a particle only "presents" its state with some uncertainty, e.g. its position and momentum.

Instead the state itself does not have the property of sharply defined position and momentum, even w/o any measurement. It is an intrinsic property of any quantum object.

I suggest you take a look at some of the other threads about this. There are lots of them, and most of them have "uncertainty principle" in the title. (The modern version is a theorem, not a principle, so I prefer to call it the uncertainty theorem or the uncertainty relation).

1. What is the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle, also known as Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle simultaneously. This means that the more accurately we know one of these properties, the less accurately we can know the other.

2. Who discovered the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle was first proposed by German physicist Werner Heisenberg in 1927. He was attempting to explain the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions with light.

3. How does the uncertainty principle impact our understanding of the physical world?

The uncertainty principle has significant implications for our understanding of the physical world. It challenges our classical understanding of the universe, where we believed that all particles had exact and measurable properties. It also plays a crucial role in the development of technologies such as MRI machines and computer memory.

4. Can the uncertainty principle be violated?

No, the uncertainty principle is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics and has been extensively tested and proven to hold true. It is a fundamental property of the universe and cannot be violated.

5. How does the uncertainty principle relate to everyday life?

While the uncertainty principle may seem like a concept that only applies to the microscopic world, it actually has implications for our everyday lives. The principles of quantum mechanics, including the uncertainty principle, govern many natural phenomena and technological advancements that we encounter daily, such as the behavior of atoms and the functioning of electronic devices.