About von Neumann density

In summary, the conversation discusses the interpretation of the von Neumann density in a "functional sense" as a Szego projector in Hilbert spaces. It also mentions the Born Rule and the definition of density matrices. The question is whether Szego projectors can be interpreted as a family of POVM that follows the Born rule.
Ssnow
Gold Member
I want to ask if it is wrong to interpret the von Neumann density in a '' functional sense'' as a szego projector Hilbert spaces?
thks

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what they are, but since density matrices are, by definition, defined on Hilbert spaces, that would seem rather difficult unless you change the concept in some way.

In case you haven't seen it here is the exact definition, which is part of the Born Rule

There exists a positive operator of unit trace, P, called the state of the system, such that if O is an observable, E(O), the expected outcome of the observation, is E(O) = Trace (PO).

P is also called the density matrix, but its not my preferred term.

As to why its true check out post 137:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/the-born-rule-in-many-worlds.763139/page-7

Thanks
Bill

Szego projectors are orthogonal projectors from the Hardy space H(X) to L^2 (an equivariant component), It seems that all POMV requirements are satisfied but not the condition on the trace that bust be 1 ... now my question is if I can interpret these Szego projectors (that in general are not matrices but more similar to oscillatory integrals (his kernel)) as a family of POVM that respect the Born rule.
Thank you for the link and your answer ...

Hi,
Ssnow

What is von Neumann density?

Von Neumann density, also known as von Neumann entropy, is a measure of the amount of uncertainty or randomness in a quantum mechanical system. It is named after mathematician and physicist John von Neumann.

How is von Neumann density calculated?

Von Neumann density is calculated using the density matrix, which is a mathematical representation of a quantum system. The formula for von Neumann density is S = -Tr(ρ ln ρ), where S is the von Neumann entropy and ρ is the density matrix.

What is the significance of von Neumann density?

Von Neumann density is an important concept in quantum mechanics as it helps us understand the behavior of quantum systems and their level of randomness. It is used in various fields such as quantum computing, quantum information theory, and quantum thermodynamics.

What is the relationship between von Neumann density and information?

Von Neumann density is closely related to the concept of information in quantum systems. It can be seen as a measure of the amount of information that is contained in a quantum state.

Can von Neumann density be measured in experiments?

Yes, von Neumann density can be measured in experiments using techniques such as quantum state tomography. This involves performing measurements on a quantum system and using the results to reconstruct the density matrix and calculate the von Neumann entropy.