Confirming the Order of Permutation: LCM = 8

In summary, the conversation is about determining the order of a permutation, with one person providing advice on how to calculate it. They mention that the order is the LCM of the order of each element, but suggest double checking the math. A link is also provided for further information.
WM07
Can you tell me if my answer is correct?

in (1 2 3 4) (1 2 3 4) The order of permutation is LCM = (4, 4) = 8

Physics news on Phys.org
WM07 said:
Can you tell me if my answer is correct?

in (1 2 3 4) (1 2 3 4) The order of permutation is LCM = (4, 4) = 8

The order of the permutation is indeed the LCM of the order of each. However, you may want to double check your math. LCM(4,4) is not 8.

:-)

rs1n said:
The order of the permutation is indeed the LCM of the order of each. However, you may want to double check your math. LCM(4,4) is not 8.

:-)

Thank you, I get the least common multiple is 4 am I right?

1. What is the meaning of LCM in the context of confirming the order of permutation?

LCM stands for "least common multiple" and is used to determine the smallest number that is a multiple of two or more given numbers. In the context of confirming the order of permutation, LCM is used to find the lowest number that all elements in a permutation need to be raised to in order to obtain the identity permutation.

2. How is LCM calculated for a set of numbers?

To calculate the LCM of a set of numbers, you can use the prime factorization method. First, factor each number into its prime factors. Then, identify the highest power of each prime factor among all the numbers. Finally, multiply all the highest powers together to get the LCM.

3. Why is LCM used in confirming the order of permutation?

In a permutation, the order of elements is important. To confirm the order of permutation, we need to determine the smallest number that can be used to raise each element to in order to obtain the identity permutation. LCM provides this number, as it is the smallest multiple of all the elements in the permutation.

4. Can LCM be used for any type of permutation?

Yes, LCM can be used for any type of permutation, as long as the elements in the permutation are integers. LCM can also be used for non-integer elements, but the calculation may become more complex.

5. How does LCM help in confirming the order of permutation?

LCM helps in confirming the order of permutation by providing the lowest number that all elements in the permutation need to be raised to in order to obtain the identity permutation. This allows us to determine the order of the permutation and confirm its correctness.