Can astronauts cast their ballots from space?

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
In summary, astronaut Leroy Chiao made history by becoming the first American to vote for president from space. He cast his ballot via encrypted email and encouraged others to vote as well. There were jokes about him potentially voting for Nader and the question of how many electoral votes outer space would receive.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/11/02/voting.from.space.ap/index.html

Astronaut makes voting history

CAPE CANAVERAL, Florida (AP) -- With a quick computer key stroke, space station astronaut Leroy Chiao became the first American to vote for president from space, casting an encrypted ballot via e-mail and urging fellow countrymen to go to the polls Tuesday...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
"page not found"

oh, dear! well, I repasted the link. seems ok now. I hope.

Can you imagine if they did all that work in order to allow him to vote and it turns out he voted for nader? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

check said:
Can you imagine if they did all that work in order to allow him to vote and it turns out he voted for nader? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

heeheeheeheehee! :rofl:

How many electoral votes does outer space get? :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
How many electoral votes does outer space get? :biggrin:

ha ha ha! I am waiting for the astro-biologists to weigh-in on this one! :rofl:

1. What is an absentee ballot?

An absentee ballot is a type of voting ballot that allows individuals to vote by mail rather than in person at a polling location. This is typically used by individuals who are unable to physically go to a polling location on election day, such as military personnel, students studying abroad, or individuals with disabilities.

2. Who is eligible to vote using an absentee ballot?

The eligibility to vote using an absentee ballot varies by state. Generally, individuals who are unable to vote in person due to being out of the country, away at school, or have a disability are eligible. Some states also allow individuals who are over a certain age or have certain work or family obligations to vote by absentee ballot.

3. How do I obtain an absentee ballot?

The process for obtaining an absentee ballot also varies by state. In most cases, you can request an absentee ballot by filling out a form online, by mail, or in person at your local election office. Some states also allow you to request an absentee ballot in person at your local polling location.

4. When should I submit my absentee ballot?

It is important to submit your absentee ballot as early as possible to ensure it is received and counted on election day. The submission deadline also varies by state, so it is important to check with your state's election office for specific deadlines.

5. How will my absentee ballot be counted?

Once your absentee ballot is received, it will be verified and counted on election day along with all other ballots. Absentee ballots are typically counted after the in-person votes, but they are still given the same consideration and weight as any other vote.