Absolute and relative motion/rest

In summary: Summary:: Why can't we say that a train is moving for sure when the train is run by an engine?In summary, when considering the concept of absolute rest and relative rest according to Newton's laws, one may argue that the train is at rest and the Earth is moving, or vice versa. However, the focus should not be on determining which is truly at rest, but rather on understanding that the velocity of an object is frame dependent. This means that the train may be at rest in one frame of reference and moving in another. The force exerted by the engine on the train causes it to move, but the same can be said for the Earth and all other objects in motion. Therefore, it is not useful to try and
Shafia Zahin
TL;DR Summary
Why can't we say that a train is moving for sure when the train is run by an engine?
In matter of absolute rest and relative rest as per Newton's laws, one thing that confuses me. If a train or bus is moving for example, if one sets aside for a moment the rotation of the Earth and its orbit around the sun, one could say that the Earth was at rest and that a train on it was traveling north at ninety miles per hour or that the train was at rest and the earty was moving south at ninety miles per hour. My question is, yeah, if you say in respect of perspective then there is no way to tell if the train ir Earth is moving. But, for a matter of fact, I am giving locomotive to the train, right? The force is exerted upon the train by the engine, so obviously the train will move. Why can't we say that the train is moving then? I hope I'm making sense. It would be nice if anyone could clear this confusion. TIA.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Shafia Zahin said:
Summary:: Why can't we say that a train is moving for sure when the train is run by an engine?

In matter of absolute rest and relative rest as per Newton's laws, one thing that confuses me. If a train or bus is moving for example, if one sets aside for a moment the rotation of the Earth and its orbit around the sun, one could say that the Earth was at rest and that a train on it was traveling north at ninety miles per hour or that the train was at rest and the earty was moving south at ninety miles per hour. My question is, yeah, if you say in respect of perspective then there is no way to tell if the train ir Earth is moving. But, for a matter of fact, I am giving locomotive to the train, right? The force is exerted upon the train by the engine, so obviously the train will move. Why can't we say that the train is moving then? I hope I'm making sense. It would be nice if anyone could clear this confusion. TIA.
You can measure the (real/proper) acceleration of an object and come up with a quantity that is invariant across all inertial frames of reference: $$\vec F = m \vec a$$ applies in all inertial frames.

But, what you cannot do is give a quantity for its absolute velocity. The velocity itself is frame dependent. You can never say that the train is traveling absolutely at velocity ##\vec v##.

To argue whether the train is "really moving" or not is not what the physics is about. It's about whether the measured quantity for velocity is invariant across all frames. Moreover, you can always choose a reference frame where the instantaneous velocity is zero: i.e. where the object is instantaneously at rest. And, you can always choose a frame where the object is not at rest.

Last edited:
Likes bhobba and Shafia Zahin
Shafia Zahin said:
Summary:: Why can't we say that a train is moving for sure when the train is run by an engine?

You have to apply a force in order to go from moving with respect to the Earth to at rest with respect to it also.
Now you might argue that you needed to use your engine to get moving relative to the Earth, and only had to apply brakes to come to rest, But you can also say that all the brakes are doing are coupling you to the Earth in order to transfer the Earth's motion to you.

Likes bhobba and Shafia Zahin
Shafia Zahin said:
The force is exerted upon the train by the engine, so obviously the train will move.
No, the force is exerted on the train by the tracks. But an equal amount of force is exerted on the tracks by the train. As a result of this interaction both Earth and the train are set into motion relative to what they were doing before the engine was started. But Earth has a much much larger mass so it moves much much less.

Likes jbriggs444
A roller-coaster train is driven by rollers or belts/chains in the track...

Likes bhobba
Shafia Zahin said:

But, for a matter of fact, I am giving locomotive to the train, right? The force is exerted upon the train by the engine, so obviously the train will move. Why can't we say that the train is moving then?
The same justification for why the train is moving also can be used to show that the Earth is moving. And the sun is also moving by the same argument. And the galaxy is also moving. And the cluster of nearby galaxies …

So if we do assert that the train must be moving then true same logic shows everything else is moving too. It is of no benefit to try to assert some particular state as the “real” rest state.

Likes cianfa72, bhobba and hutchphd
The closest thing to defining a universal rest frame is the Cosmic Microwave Background i.e. the frame where the CMB is the lowest temperature but that would still only be an arbitrary definition and would be very inconvenient for everyday life.

Shafia Zahin said:
for example, if one sets aside for a moment the rotation of the Earth and its orbit around the sun, one could say that the Earth was at rest
Yes, you have the freedom to do that because all inertial frames are equivalent.

Shafia Zahin said:

Why can't we say that the train is moving then
You can say that. But moving at a particular velocity wrt the Earth surface.

But consider, a hamster running on its wheel.
Think of the hamster as the train ( with its locomotive ), and the wheel as the Earth - the wheel not being very massive.
From your perspective looking at the situation, the hamster is staying in one place even if it is supplying the energy for locomotion ( just like the train ), but the wheel is moving.

Let the hamster out to run on the floor, and now you would say the hamster is moving.

Can you tell the difference in the reference frames for this running hamster?

• Love
Likes Delta2
Mister T said:
Yes, you have the freedom to do that because all inertial frames are equivalent.
Wait, what? If we are considering classical Newtonian mechanics then neither the Earth nor the Sun has an inertial rest frame. Both are accelerating around their combined barycenter.

If we move on to General Relativity then neither the Earth nor the Sun has an inertial rest frame because there is no such thing in the curved space-time of the universe we inhabit.

Last edited:
Likes PeroK
jbriggs444 said:
Wait, what? If we are considering classical Newtonian mechanics then neither the Earth nor the Sun has an inertial rest frame. Both are accelerating around their combined barycenter.
In this situation I was assuming those accelerations were small enough to be ignored.

@Shafia Zahin

you can’t say that an object is moving or is at rest, if you don’t specify “the reference frame” with respect to which you are considering the object. If you are seated in that train, are you in motion or at rest? Well, I can say both, it depends on the reference frame.

Mister T said:
In this situation I was assuming those accelerations were small enough to be ignored.
I think it's more than that. If the accelerations were uniform over a scale bigger than our measurements we would not detect any difference from Newton's laws in a true inertial frame. For example, if I measure the weight of an object on a scale at the surface of the earth, it's not like the object is subjected to centripetal acceleration of the Earth's rotation yet the scale isn't.

bob012345 said:
For example, if I measure the weight of an object on a scale at the surface of the earth, it's not like the object is subjected to centripetal acceleration of the Earth's rotation yet the scale isn't.
Doesn't matter about the scale. The centripetal acceleration of the object is accounted for in the value of ##g## which in turn affects the value of the weight. At sea level most of the variation in ##g## across Earth's surface is due to Earth's spin.

Mister T said:
Doesn't matter about the scale. The centripetal acceleration of the object is accounted for in the value of ##g## which in turn affects the value of the weight. At sea level most of the variation in ##g## across Earth's surface is due to Earth's spin.
Ok, that was a bad example. However for a non-rotating frame accelerating in some gravitational field, I think it holds. You could not tell the difference from a true inertial frame.

bob012345 said:
Ok, that was a bad example. However for a non-rotating frame accelerating in some gravitational field, I think it holds. You could not tell the difference from a true inertial frame.
That's the equivalence principle, yes. It applies to local measurements.

It is not immediately clear (to me) whether this is relevant for measurements of the CMBR since those are inherently non-local.

russ_watters said:
A roller-coaster train is driven by rollers or belts/chains in the track...
Don’t forget Gravity! That’s what makes it scary.

1. What is absolute motion/rest?

Absolute motion/rest refers to the motion or rest of an object with respect to an absolute reference point or frame of reference. This reference point is usually considered to be fixed and not affected by the motion of the object.

2. What is relative motion/rest?

Relative motion/rest refers to the motion or rest of an object with respect to a different object or frame of reference. This means that the motion of an object can be perceived differently depending on the reference point chosen.

3. How do we determine absolute motion/rest?

Absolute motion/rest can be determined by using an absolute reference point, such as the Earth's surface or the center of the universe. The motion of an object can then be measured with respect to this reference point using tools such as a ruler or GPS.

4. What is the difference between absolute and relative motion/rest?

The main difference between absolute and relative motion/rest is the reference point used to measure the motion of an object. While absolute motion is measured with respect to a fixed reference point, relative motion is measured with respect to a different object or frame of reference.

5. How does the concept of absolute and relative motion/rest apply in real life?

The concept of absolute and relative motion/rest is used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and navigation. For example, in navigation, the absolute position of a ship can be determined using GPS, while the relative motion of the ship can be measured with respect to the water's surface. In physics, the concept is used to understand the motion of objects in space and time, and in engineering, it is used to design and analyze the motion of machines and structures.