1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Absolute continuity, function of partition bound

1. Nov 20, 2013 #1
    Given [itex][a,b][/itex] a bounded interval, and [itex]f \in L^{p} ([a,b]) 1 < p < \infty[/itex], we define:
    [itex]F(x) = \displaystyle \int_{a}^{x} f(t) dt[/itex], [itex]x \in [a,b][/itex]
    Prove that exists [itex]K \in R[/itex] such that for every partition:
    [itex]a_{0} = x_{0} < x_{1} < ... < x_{n} = b[/itex] :
    [itex]\displaystyle \sum_{i=0}^{n-1} \frac{| F(x_{i+1}) - F(x_{i}) |^{p}}{|x_{i+1}-x_{i} |^{p-1}} \leq K[/itex]

I know that [itex]F(x)[/itex] is absolutely continous and of bounded variation.

[itex]\frac{|F(x_{i+1}) - F(x_{i})|}{|x_{i+1} - x_{i}|} = F(\xi)[/itex] for some [itex]\xi \in [x_{i}, x_{i+1}][/itex] (Lagrange Intermediate Value Theorem)
    Then
    [itex]\frac{|F(x_{i+1}) - F(x_{i})|^{p}}{|x_{i+1} - x_{i}|^{p-1}} = f(\xi)^{p} (x_{i+1}-x_{i})[/itex]
    As [itex]f \in L^{p}[/itex] when [itex]x_{i+1} \to x_{i}[/itex] [itex]f(x_{i+1}-x_{i})[/itex] when grows slower in some neighborhood of [itex]x_{i}[/itex] than [itex]\frac{1}{x_{i+1}-x_{i}}[/itex] because that function doesn't isn't [itex]L^{1}[/itex].
    I was trying prove that the closenes of the [itex]x_{n}[/itex] can't make the sum diverges, and that neither the number of terms but I don't know how to approach all the issues at the same time.
    When the partition norm tends to zero we got [itex]\displaystyle \int_{a}^{b} | f (t) |^{p} dt[/itex]
    And when it doesn't I think that [itex](2M)^{p} (b-a)[/itex] where [itex]M[/itex] is the maximum of [itex]F(x)[/itex] with [itex]x \in [a,b][/itex] (which exists because [itex]F(x)[/itex] is continous in that closed set).
    So I guess [itex]K = (2M)^{p} (b-a) + \displaystyle \int_{a}^{b} | f (t) |^{p} dt [/itex] works
    But I'm not sure how to prove it.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2013 #2
    I got hung up when you wrote:

##\frac {F(x_{i+1} - F(x_i)|}{|x_{i+1} - x_i} = F(\zeta) ##... surely you mean ##F'(\zeta)## which would be ##f(\zeta)##.. From the next line I see you did mean that.

Sum up your ##f^p(\zeta)(x_{i+1} - x_i).## As the width of the partition goes to 0 you will have the Riemann integral of ##f^p##.

I think you have to show (or state) that if it is Riemann integrable then it is Lebesgue integrable.
    Can you take it from there?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted