What is the absolute uncertainty in your estimate of the total mass?

In summary, the question asks for the absolute uncertainty in the estimate of the total mass of 800 identical physics textbooks based on the measured mass of one textbook. The absolute uncertainty is equal to the magnitude of the maximum error, which in this case is 0.07kg. Therefore, the absolute uncertainty in the estimate is 0.07kg.
simond

Homework Statement

You measure the mass of a physics textbook to be 2.97±0.07 kg, and use this value to estimate the total mass of 800 identical physics textbooks in the bookstore. What is the absolute uncertainty in your estimate of the total mass?

I have been working on this for a while. I am not sure why I cannot get it. What I have tried is:

0.07(2)=0.014 -- since the uncertainty can go up or down .07kg

then, multiplying the 0.014 by the 800 textbooks, to get 11.2kg.

This however apparently is incorrect. What should I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
For a value x±dx, in which the error is ±dx, your absolute uncertainty is |±dx| = |dx|. So the magnitude of the maximum error you can get for a book is .07kg. So instead of the .14kg you used, it would be .07kg.

If what I said doesn't work, then it is probably because you're using 0.07(2) = 0.014...which is not right, its actually 0.14.

The absolute uncertainty in your estimate of the total mass can be calculated by using the formula:

Absolute uncertainty = (uncertainty in individual measurement) x (number of objects)

In this case, the uncertainty in the individual measurement is 0.07 kg and the number of textbooks is 800. Therefore, the absolute uncertainty in your estimate of the total mass would be 0.07 kg x 800 = 56 kg.

This means that your estimate of the total mass of 800 textbooks could vary by 56 kg due to the uncertainty in your initial measurement. It is important to note that this is just an estimate and the actual total mass could be slightly higher or lower than your calculated value. It is recommended to always include the uncertainty in your calculations to provide a more accurate and reliable estimate.

1. What is absolute uncertainty?

Absolute uncertainty is a measure of the range of possible values for a given quantity. It represents the degree of confidence in a measurement or estimate and is typically expressed as a plus or minus value.

2. How is absolute uncertainty calculated?

Absolute uncertainty is calculated by taking the difference between the highest and lowest possible values for a quantity and dividing it by two. This value is then expressed as a plus or minus value to indicate the range of possible values.

3. What factors can contribute to the absolute uncertainty of a measurement?

The absolute uncertainty of a measurement can be influenced by a variety of factors, including the precision of the measuring instrument, the skill of the person making the measurement, and the inherent variability of the quantity being measured.

4. How does absolute uncertainty differ from relative uncertainty?

Absolute uncertainty is a measure of the range of possible values for a given quantity, while relative uncertainty is a measure of the ratio of the absolute uncertainty to the value of the quantity itself. In other words, relative uncertainty takes into account the size of the quantity being measured, while absolute uncertainty does not.

5. Why is it important to consider absolute uncertainty in scientific measurements?

Absolute uncertainty is an important concept in scientific measurements because it allows for a more accurate representation of the true value of a quantity. By taking into account the range of possible values, scientists can better evaluate the reliability and validity of their measurements and estimates.