Absolute value and square root

In summary, when we see an expression with the absolute value sign and the square root sign, such as |\sqrt{4x+1}|, it means we are taking the positive square root of the expression inside the absolute value sign. This is because square roots are defined as a function and can only give one result for any number in their domain. So, the expression can be written as +\sqrt{4x+1} or simply \sqrt{4x+1}. However, we cannot always write |f(x)| as +f(x), as it depends on the function inside the absolute value sign.
afcwestwarrior
what is /squared root sign4x+1 /
what does this equal because I'm confused when it has the square root sign on it all and it's absolute value

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Do you mean [itex]|\sqrt{4x+1}|[/itex]? Here, the absolute value sign just means take the positive square root.

yup that's what i mean

so when i a take the absolute value of it, it looks the same or the square root is gone

The square root is still there, since that is the operation being applied to (4x+1). When we take the square root of a number, we get a positive number, and a negative number (consider the simple example: [itex]\sqrt{4}=\pm 2[/itex], since (-2)2=4=22). By putting the absolute value around the square root is the same as saying that we are taking the positive square root (so, in our example[itex]|\sqrt{4}|=+\sqrt{4}=2[/itex]).

Your expression above can be written [itex]+\sqrt{4x+1}[/itex].

what happens after i take the absolut value of square root sign4x+1

so that's what it'll look like

cristo said:
Your expression above can be written [itex]+\sqrt{4x+1}[/itex].

Actually, his expression can be written [itex]\sqrt{4x+1}[/itex]. Square roots are defined to be a FUNCTION, which means they CAN'T give you more than one result for any number in their domain (i.e. we can't have [itex]\sqrt{4}=\pm 2[/itex]). By convention, [itex]\sqrt{x} \ge 0[/itex] for all [itex]x \in [0,\infty)[/itex].

Moo Of Doom said:
Actually, his expression can be written [itex]\sqrt{4x+1}[/itex]. Square roots are defined to be a FUNCTION, which means they CAN'T give you more than one result for any number in their domain (i.e. we can't have [itex]\sqrt{4}=\pm 2[/itex]). By convention, [itex]\sqrt{x} \ge 0[/itex] for all [itex]x \in [0,\infty)[/itex].

Good point; thanks for spotting that, Moo!

Lets be clear that in general |f(x)| can't be written as simply +f(x)! Here that was true because [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex] is by definition non-negative. If f(x)= x and x= -4 then |f(x)|= |-4|= 4 while +f(x)= +(-4)= -4.

What is absolute value?

Absolute value is a mathematical concept that represents the distance of a number from zero on the number line. It is always a positive value, regardless of the sign of the number.

How do you find the absolute value of a number?

To find the absolute value of a number, you simply ignore the negative sign, if any, and write the number as a positive value. For example, the absolute value of -5 is 5.

What is the relationship between absolute value and distance?

Absolute value and distance are closely related because absolute value is a way to represent distance on the number line. Just as distance cannot be negative, absolute value is always a positive value.

What is a square root?

A square root is a number that, when multiplied by itself, gives the original number. For example, the square root of 9 is 3 because 3 x 3 = 9.

How do you find the square root of a number?

The square root of a number can be found by using a calculator or by using the prime factorization method. For example, to find the square root of 25, you can either take the square root of 25 using a calculator, which is 5, or you can factor 25 into its prime factors (5 x 5) and take the square root of each factor to get 5.