1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Absolute value and square root

1. Feb 3, 2007 #1
    what is /squared root sign4x+1 /
    what does this equal because i'm confused when it has the square root sign on it all and it's absolute value

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2007 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Do you mean [itex]|\sqrt{4x+1}|[/itex]? Here, the absolute value sign just means take the positive square root.

4. Feb 3, 2007 #3
    yup that's what i mean

5. Feb 3, 2007 #4
    so when i a take the absolute value of it, it looks the same or the square root is gone

6. Feb 3, 2007 #5

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The square root is still there, since that is the operation being applied to (4x+1). When we take the square root of a number, we get a positive number, and a negative number (consider the simple example: [itex]\sqrt{4}=\pm 2[/itex], since (-2)2=4=22). By putting the absolute value around the square root is the same as saying that we are taking the positive square root (so, in our example[itex]|\sqrt{4}|=+\sqrt{4}=2[/itex]).

Your expression above can be written [itex]+\sqrt{4x+1}[/itex].

7. Feb 3, 2007 #6
    what happens after i take the absolut value of square root sign4x+1

8. Feb 3, 2007 #7
    so that's what it'll look like

9. Feb 3, 2007 #8
    Actually, his expression can be written [itex]\sqrt{4x+1}[/itex]. Square roots are defined to be a FUNCTION, which means they CAN'T give you more than one result for any number in their domain (i.e. we can't have [itex]\sqrt{4}=\pm 2[/itex]). By convention, [itex]\sqrt{x} \ge 0[/itex] for all [itex]x \in [0,\infty)[/itex].

10. Feb 3, 2007 #9

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Good point; thanks for spotting that, Moo!

11. Feb 4, 2007 #10

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Lets be clear that in general |f(x)| can't be written as simply +f(x)! Here that was true because [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex] is by definition non-negative. If f(x)= x and x= -4 then |f(x)|= |-4|= 4 while +f(x)= +(-4)= -4.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook