Understanding Absolute Value in Thermodynamics

In summary, the speaker is discussing a problem they encountered while taking a short thermodynamics course. They are confused about the meaning of the expression |ΔH|>|TΔS| and how it relates to ΔG. They also question why absolute value is used in the expression and what would happen if it was not included. They have asked their teacher for clarification but are still confused. Ultimately, the speaker learns that only the magnitude of the change matters in this expression, not the direction of the change.
thedy
Hi everyone,I have a problem.I get a short thermodynamics course.Until now,I have thought,that I know,what absolute value means.
And here comes my problem.In lecture is writen,that if we want to make a synthesis in cell valid,we must to have:|ΔH|>|TΔS|.So what this expression means?Does it mean,ΔG<0,in other words?And how I know,that we are dealing with negative or positive numbers in this expression?And if yes,why this expression is expressed like absolute value?If we have it without it,what would happen?I asked teacher,but I m still confused.
Thanks for answers and time,you lost with my question.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
With absolute values, only the magnitude of the change matters. It doesn't matter if the change is positive or negative. So H must change more than TS.

1. What is absolute value in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, absolute value refers to the measurement of a physical quantity relative to an absolute reference point or zero point. It is used to describe the magnitude of a variable, without considering its direction or sign.

2. How is absolute value related to temperature in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, absolute value is used to measure temperature on the Kelvin scale, where absolute zero (0 K) is the lowest possible temperature and represents the absence of thermal energy. This scale allows for a more accurate and consistent measurement of temperature compared to other scales, such as Celsius or Fahrenheit.

3. Why is absolute value important in thermodynamics?

Absolute value is important in thermodynamics because it allows for the description and analysis of physical quantities without the influence of direction or sign. This is particularly useful in studying systems with varying temperatures, pressures, and energies, as it provides a clear and consistent reference point for comparison.

4. How is absolute value used in the laws of thermodynamics?

The laws of thermodynamics, specifically the first and second law, make use of absolute value to describe the flow and transformation of energy within a system. Absolute value is essential in these laws as it allows for the accurate calculation of energy transfer and helps to determine the efficiency of a system.

5. Can absolute value be negative in thermodynamics?

No, absolute value cannot be negative in thermodynamics. This is because it is a measure of magnitude and does not take into account direction or sign. In thermodynamics, negative values represent energy being lost or transferred in the opposite direction, while positive values represent energy being gained or transferred in the intended direction.