1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Abstract Algebra Proof question

1. Nov 16, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The question is:
    Let A be a subset of Sn that contains all permutations alpha such that alpha can be written as a product of an even number of transpositions. Prove that A is a group with product of permutations.

I understand what I need to do to prove it, but I am not sure how to start it. Do I use:
    Let alpha=(a1a2a3...an) and
    beta=(b1b2b3...bn) and try to find closure,

alphabeta=(a1a2a3...an)(b1b2b3...bn)=(a1a2)(a1a3)...(a1an-1)(a1an)(b1b2)(b1b3)...(b1bn-1)(b1bn),

or am I going about it the wrong way?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2008 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is a group? There are some axioms A must satisfy in order for it to be called one. For instance, the product of two things in A must also lie in A. Translating this to the situation at hand: if two permutations can be written as a product of an even number of transpositions, can their product be as well? Obviously yes! Now check the other axioms similarly.

4. Nov 17, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Where did you use the fact that they can be written as an even number of transpositions?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?