Abstract Algebra - Properties of Q/Z

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
jfiels3
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Prove that the group Q/Z under addition cannot be isomorphic to the additive group of a commutative ring with a unit element, where Q is the field of rationals and Z is the ring of integers.


Homework Equations


The tools available are introductory-level group theory and ring theory, from a first course in Abstract Algebra.


The Attempt at a Solution


I was thinking that it might be helpful to show that Q/Z has no unit element (since 1 is in Z), and then show that if this were true, then Q/Z must have a unit element. However, I'm not quite sure how to get started, or if I'm even taking a correct approach.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Basically, what they want you to show that you cannot define a multiplication on Q/Z. So, assume that you do have a multiplication (with a unity), try to derive a contradiction.
 
jfiels3 said:
I was thinking that it might be helpful to show that Q/Z has no unit element (since 1 is in Z),
Don't confuse 1 (the element of Z) with 1 (the unit element of a ring).