Abstract Algebra: Ring Isomorphism Construction

In summary, the conversation involved discussing the Chinese remainder theorem and proving that I+J=R by finding x in I and y in J such that x+y=1. The speaker also used f(x)=(I, 1+J) and f(y)=(1+I, J) to show that f(kx+ry)=(r+I)(k+J). While there was a small mistake in notation, the overall solution was correct.
lola1990

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the chinese remainder theorem??

What bothers you about it??

lola1990 said:
So I already proved that I+J=R, so that there are x in I and y in J such that x+y=1. Then, f(x)=(I, 1+J) because x is in I and x=1-y which is in 1+B. Similarly, f(y)=(1+I, J). Now, consider kx+ry. f(kx+ry)=f(k)f(x)+f(r)f(y)=(k+I, k+J)(I, 1+J)+(r+I, r+J)(1+I, J)=(I, k+J)+(r+I)(J)=(r+I)(k+J). Is that right?

The bolded part have a wrong notation. It must be (r+I,J) and (r+I,k+J). But it is correct.

1. What is the purpose of constructing ring isomorphisms in abstract algebra?

The construction of ring isomorphisms allows us to establish a one-to-one correspondence between two different rings, preserving their algebraic structure and properties. This is useful for comparing and relating different mathematical structures, as well as simplifying calculations and proofs.

2. How do you construct a ring isomorphism?

To construct a ring isomorphism, we need to define a function that maps elements from one ring to another in a way that preserves the ring's operations (addition and multiplication) and identity elements. This function must also be bijective, meaning that each element in the target ring has a unique preimage in the source ring.

3. Can you provide an example of a ring isomorphism construction?

Sure, let's consider the rings Z (integers) and Z6 (integers modulo 6). We can define a function f: Z → Z6 as f(x) = x mod 6. This function maps integers to their corresponding remainders when divided by 6, preserving addition and multiplication. For example, f(9) = 3 and f(12) = 0, as 9 mod 6 = 3 and 12 mod 6 = 0. This function is also bijective, as every element in Z6 has a unique preimage in Z.

4. What properties are preserved in a ring isomorphism construction?

A ring isomorphism must preserve the ring's operations (addition and multiplication), identity elements, inverses, and distributive properties. This means that if two elements are equal in one ring, their images under the isomorphism will also be equal in the target ring.

5. Are there any limitations to constructing ring isomorphisms?

Yes, there are some limitations to constructing ring isomorphisms. The two rings being compared must have the same underlying set, and the isomorphism must preserve the ring's structure and properties. Additionally, the isomorphism must be bijective, meaning that every element in the target ring has a unique preimage in the source ring. If these conditions are not met, a ring isomorphism cannot be constructed between the two rings.