What is Absurdism and how does Albert Camus approach it?

• Thread starter n!kofeyn
  • Start date
In summary, Camus says that humans have three ways of resolving the dilemma of meaning in life- suicide, belief in a transcendent world, or acceptance of the absurd.
n!kofeyn
I just came across this today and found it to be interesting. I don't know that much about it yet, but I thought I would come here and mention it. Here is a quote by Albert Camus, who brought absurdism about during the 20th century in his text The Myth of Sisyphus.
Man has a desire for order, meaning, and purpose in life, but the universe is indifferent and meaningless; the Absurd arises out of this conflict.

From Wikipedia's article on the meaning of life:
As beings looking for hope in a meaningless world, Camus says that humans have three ways of resolving the dilemma.
Suicide: The first solution to the dilemma is simply to end one's life. Camus rejects this choice as cowardly.
Religious belief in a transcendent world: Such a belief would posit the existence of a realm that is beyond the Absurd, and, as such, has meaning. Camus calls this solution “philosophical suicide” and rejects it because it amounts to the destruction of reason, which in his view is as fatal as suicide of the body.
Accept the Absurd: According to Camus, this is the only real solution. It is to accept and even embrace the absurdity of life and to continue living. The Absurd is a crucial characteristic of the human condition, and the only true way to deal with this is bold acceptance of it. Life, according to Camus, can “be lived all the better if it has no meaning.”

It's interesting, because we create such turmoil through our struggles to apply meaning to our lives. Although, life could seem bleak if we removed all of our meaning and just dealt with our absurd situation. I guess dealing with the absurd is the point of life then in this case, although I don't know. I need to read more about this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Absurdity is one of the many spices of life. The benign kind, anyway.

I can't honestly understand anyone who is so benighted as to try to explain uncertainties away with unproven falsehoods.

You should watch Waiting for Godot if you haven't already, it's quite... absurd :P

1. What is Absurdism?

Absurdism is a philosophical concept that deals with the inherent meaninglessness and irrationality of human existence. It proposes that the human desire for meaning and purpose in life is ultimately futile, as the universe is indifferent to our existence.

2. Who is Albert Camus?

Albert Camus was a French philosopher, author, and journalist known for his contributions to Absurdism and existentialism. He is best known for his novels "The Stranger" and "The Plague", as well as his essay "The Myth of Sisyphus".

3. What is the central idea of Camus's philosophy?

The central idea of Camus's philosophy is the concept of the Absurd, which states that the human search for meaning and purpose in life is ultimately futile, as there is no inherent meaning or purpose in the universe.

4. How does Camus suggest dealing with the Absurd?

Camus suggests embracing the Absurd and living in the present moment, rather than searching for a deeper meaning or purpose in life. He also advocates for the acceptance of the human condition and the pursuit of individual freedom and autonomy.

5. What is the difference between Absurdism and Existentialism?

While both Absurdism and Existentialism deal with similar themes of human existence and the search for meaning, they differ in their approach. Absurdism emphasizes the inherent meaninglessness of life, while Existentialism focuses on the individual's freedom and responsibility in creating their own meaning in life.