Converting Mini Split AC to DC Power w/ 48V Motor: Expert Advice Needed

In summary, Magnetic Mike says that you will need a DC to AC inverter to convert the 48V output of the battery bank to 220V AC. He also says that the inverter is going to be very efficient these days and that the wattage required by the aircon and how long any sort of batter bank is going to be able to sustain that power drain before it goes flat. He also says that you will need a serious solar panel array to handle the charging required.
magnetic_mike
I want to convert a mini split air conditioner from ac to dc so it can be powered by a 48 volt battery bank and rercharged by a solar panel and wind turbine hybrid system.(hybrid charge controller) I want to replace the ac compressor motor to a 48 volt brushless perminent magnet motor of similar rpm torque size etc. My questions are what about the the circuit board inside? Do I have change anything in there or will it work with the 48 volts from the battery bank? Is the 220 or 120 volt normnal current stepped down for the circuit board and it will step down any voltage input or do I need to make alterations there as well? I haven't tried it yet I am waiting for your expert advice. Thanks in advance. Magnetic_mike

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF...

...It depends on the air conditioner... But why aren't you trying the opposite: converting the 48VDC to 220V AC?

I want to run the air conditioner from a battery bank. Do know how many batteries it takes to get 220 volts? I want a system that is recharged from wind and solar panels. I want the air conditioner to be free from the grid.

magnetic_mike said:
I want to run the air conditioner from a battery bank. Do know how many batteries it takes to get 220 volts? I want a system that is recharged from wind and solar panels. I want the air conditioner to be free from the grid.

what Russ is saying to you, is for you to use a DC to AC inverter, now I don't know of any that have 48V input (there my be?), but there are plenty of 12V and 24V DC input ones with 220V AC output and have wattage ratings of up to 2 - 3kW.
Inverters are pretty efficient these days, 95 - 98%, it would definitely be worth investigating

regardless, you are going to have to consider the wattage required by the aircon and how long any sort of batter bank is going to be able to sustain that power drain before it goes flat. Its is going to require a serious solar panel array to handle the charging required

Dave

What is a mini split AC?

A mini split AC is a type of air conditioning system that is designed to cool a single room or small area. It consists of an outdoor unit and an indoor unit, connected by a refrigerant line. Mini split ACs are often used in situations where traditional central air conditioning is not feasible or cost-effective.

What is the advantage of converting a mini split AC to DC power with a 48V motor?

Converting a mini split AC to DC power with a 48V motor can provide several benefits. It can reduce energy consumption, increase efficiency, and lower operating costs. It can also make the system more environmentally friendly and reduce the risk of power surges or outages.

Is it possible to convert any mini split AC to DC power with a 48V motor?

In most cases, yes, it is possible to convert a mini split AC to DC power with a 48V motor. However, it is important to consult with an expert to determine if your specific system is compatible and to ensure that the conversion is done safely and correctly.

What are the key factors to consider when converting a mini split AC to DC power with a 48V motor?

Some key factors to consider when converting a mini split AC to DC power with a 48V motor include the size and type of the AC unit, the power requirements of the AC unit, and the availability of 48V power sources. It is also important to consider the cost and potential benefits of the conversion before proceeding.

Should I hire a professional to convert my mini split AC to DC power with a 48V motor?

It is highly recommended to hire a professional with experience in converting mini split ACs to DC power to ensure that the conversion is done safely and correctly. A professional can also provide expert advice and guidance on the best approach for your specific system and needs.