AC Voltage Expression and understanding

In summary, the problem is that the FCC has lowered the standards for getting a ham license, so now there are many new ham operators who are not skilled in Morse Code. CW is still alive and well, but it is harder to get a license now.
nightTerror
1. The problem statement.

AC voltage is expressed as 240 cos(2765t - 45°).
Im trying to find the:

Peak Voltage:
RMS Voltage:
Average Voltage:
Peak-to-Peak Voltage:

The Attempt at a Solution

Peak Voltage: 240v
RMS Voltage: 170v
Average Voltage: 0v
Peak-to-Peak Voltage: 480v

I've worked on this but i feel like I am using the wrong equations to find the answer. such as Peak to Peak and RMS.

Any ideas?
Thanks for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
nightTerror said:
1. The problem statement.

AC voltage is expressed as 240 cos(2765t - 45°).
Im trying to find the:

Peak Voltage:
RMS Voltage:
Average Voltage:
Peak-to-Peak Voltage:

The Attempt at a Solution

Peak Voltage: 240v
RMS Voltage: 170v
Average Voltage: 0v
Peak-to-Peak Voltage: 480v

I've worked on this but i feel like I am using the wrong equations to find the answer. such as Peak to Peak and RMS.

Any ideas?
Thanks for your help

Answers so far look correct to me.

Thanks, I've reworked it about 3 times because I thought I was doing it wrong.

berkeman said:
Signature:
"Newark, CA, USA, HAM Radio EC (Emergency Coordinator), 2m, 70cm, 1.2GHz
Morse Code is no longer required for your HAM license in the USA!"

I had a ham license from 1953 to about 1973 and used to love CW. Apparently they have lowered the exam standards there like everything else. Are the CW bands still alive and well? That would seem like the death knell to me...

LCKurtz said:
I had a ham license from 1953 to about 1973 and used to love CW. Apparently they have lowered the exam standards there like everything else. Are the CW bands still alive and well? That would seem like the death knell to me...

<hijack>

The CW bands are good now -- as you know they cycle with sunspot activity, and we are near the peak of the 11 year cycle right now, so skip off the ionosphere is good right now. We just had Field Day recently (did you participate in those when you were active?), and our local club had a near record number of contacts. Great stuff.

The dropping of the CW (Morse Code for the PF readers who are non-HAMs) requirement for getting HAM licenses was done by the FCC to bolster the ranks of the emergency response HAM operators, and has had very little effect on the HAM operators who enjoy long-distance CW contacts and contesting. Actually, I know several new HAMs who are learning CW after getting their license, because they have a general interest in all communications, and learning CW expands the modes that they can operate in.

As an ARES EC for my city, I get e-mails each month that list the new HAM licenses that have been issued. The increase is dramatic since the FCC eliminated the CW requirement, and I am quite busy training up new HAM operators in how to be effective communicators in disaster situations. IMO, this was a great move by the FCC, and it has helped us locally in our disaster preparations significantly. (I basically live on top of the Hayward Fault, which is due to slip very soon...)

</hijack> :biggrin:

1. What is AC voltage expression?

AC voltage expression refers to the mathematical representation of alternating current (AC) voltage, which is a type of electrical current that constantly changes direction. It is typically expressed as a function of time and is represented by a sine wave.

2. How is AC voltage expressed?

AC voltage is typically expressed in terms of amplitude, frequency, and phase. Amplitude refers to the maximum value of the voltage, frequency refers to the number of complete cycles per second, and phase refers to the position of the voltage wave relative to a reference point.

3. What is the difference between AC and DC voltage expression?

The main difference between AC and DC voltage expression is that AC voltage is represented as a sine wave while DC voltage is represented as a straight line. Additionally, AC voltage changes direction while DC voltage flows in only one direction.

4. How can I calculate AC voltage expression?

To calculate AC voltage expression, you will need to know the amplitude, frequency, and phase of the voltage. You can use mathematical formulas or graphing techniques to determine the voltage at any given time.

5. Why is it important to understand AC voltage expression?

Understanding AC voltage expression is crucial for anyone working with electrical systems or devices that use AC power. It allows for accurate measurements, troubleshooting, and efficient use of power. Additionally, a solid understanding of AC voltage is essential for designing and maintaining safe electrical systems.