Accelerating system with hanging mass and friction lab

In summary: The Attempt at a Solution continuedI figured out that when I add friction to the equation, I get:a = (m1(g) - f) / (m1+m2)where a is the acceleration, m1 is the hanging mass, and f is the force of friction. I then multiplied this equation by m1 to get:a = (m1(g) * m1) / (m1+m2)where a is the acceleration, m1 is the hanging mass, and m2 is the cart on track. This equation relates the acceleration of the system to the hanging mass and the cart on track. I then graphed this equation on a
chillpenguin

Homework Statement

I am working on the analysis portion of a lab. The experiment was dropping varying masses connected to a cart by a string and pulley. The cart's mass was constant in each trial, but the hanging mass was increased each trial. We were measuring the acceleration of the cart. Graphing our acceleration data vs. mass1 / (mass1 + mass2) gives us a linear looking line. Using a curve fit in graphical analysis program, we can see the slope is around 9.0 m/s/s. This slope relates to gravity. However it is not actually g because of the friction that is slowing the system down. Now here is the question I am stuck on: Find an equation that you can use to graph your existing experimental data to estimate g and f (force of friction). Regraph your data using this equation and use linear fit to estimate g and f. I am stuck here. The idea is that accounting for friction gives a more accurate estimation of g (gravity). But I don't know what to do. I realize I could solve for f by assuming g = 9.8 but that is not the point. I need to get g through graphing my data somehow.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured out that I can expand on a = m1(g) / (m1+m2) by adding friction. I got:
a = (m1(g) - f) / (m1+m2)

where a = acceleration
m1= hanging mass
m2 = cart on track
f = force of friction

I'm trying to see how I can use this to work out an equation or a way to graph my data but I don't see how. I thought maybe acceleration could be y-axis, m1/(m1+m2) could be x, gravity could be slope (m), and y-intercept (b) would be the acceleration loss due to friction. But I'm not sure how to graph my data and get the results I want. How am I supposed to do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
What if you graph (m1 + m2)a on the y-axis? What could you then choose for the variable on the x-axis that would make a nice plot?

I can't see what would give me g and f. I tried graphing (m1 + m2)a vs. m1 but that's the same thing I already did. I must be missing something.

Was I right to assume that whatever equation I use, g will be the slope and f will be the y-intercept?

chillpenguin said:
Was I right to assume that whatever equation I use, g will be the slope and f will be the y-intercept?

If you plot a vs. m1/(m1 + m2), the graph would not be a straight line unless the friction force, f, is zero. But it would approximately be a straight line if f is small compared to m1g. The y-intercept of the graph would not be equal to the friction force.

A straight line is of the form y = Mx + b where M and b are constants. In your case, you chose y to correspond to the acceleration, a, and x to correspond to the quantity m1/(m1 + m2). But that doesn't give you an equation of the form
y = Mx + b where b is a constant.

Well the part where I graphed y to correspond to the acceleration, a, and x to correspond to the quantity m1/(m1 + m2) was for estimating g without taking into consideration friction. g was the slope of that line. My lab instructions asked me to do that, and the b value was so small it was negligible. Now the question I am stuck on is asking me to improve upon my estimation of g by including f into the equation somehow and using a linear fit to get an estimation of both g and f. The frictional force is definitely very small because the hanging mass is pulling a cart with wheels on a track. So when I graphed a vs. m1/(m1 + m2) the line was straight. But my g value was not 9.8, it was 9.0. So I can only assume my g value will be closer to 9.8 if I set up a graph that accounts for friction somehow. But I do not know how to do that. My question is what do I need to graph to get g and f? The only data I have is 5 trials for m1, a, and a constant in all trials m2. Btw m2 is the cart and m1 is the hanging mass. Also I forgot to mention that f (friction force) is assumed to be a constant through this experiment.

Last edited:
What if you graph the quantity ##(m_1+m_2)a## on the ##y## axis?
What does this quantity equal in terms of ##g## and ##f##?
What could you graph on the ##x##-axis so that a graph of ##y## vs. ##x## would yield a straight line if ##f## is constant?

1. What is an accelerating system with hanging mass and friction lab?

An accelerating system with hanging mass and friction lab is a scientific experiment designed to study the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration. It involves using a hanging mass connected to a pulley system and measuring the acceleration of the system as it is subjected to different amounts of friction.

2. What is the purpose of this lab?

The purpose of this lab is to understand the concept of acceleration and how it is affected by the mass of an object, the force applied to it, and the presence of friction. It also aims to demonstrate the principles of Newton's second law of motion.

3. How is the acceleration of the system calculated?

The acceleration of the system can be calculated by dividing the net force acting on the system by its total mass. This can be represented by the equation a = F/m, where a is the acceleration, F is the net force, and m is the mass of the system.

4. What factors can affect the acceleration of the system?

The acceleration of the system can be affected by the mass of the hanging object, the force applied to the system, and the amount of friction present. Other factors such as air resistance and the angle of the pulley system may also have an impact on the system's acceleration.

5. How can this lab be applied in real-world situations?

This lab can be applied in real-world situations such as understanding the motion of objects in everyday life, calculating the acceleration of vehicles, and designing machines that require precise control of acceleration. It can also be used to study the effects of friction in various systems and how it can be reduced or optimized.