1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration, and displacement

1. Mar 1, 2012 #1
    I think we can't have a negative displacement. Is that right?

Acceleration: the change in displacement / change in time squared
    Since displacement can't be negative, and time can't be negative, acceleration also can't be negative.
    But I know (it's in the books) that when we have decreasing acceleration, it's negative. How is that?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2012 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Why do you think this? Realize that whether a vector is negative or not just depends on the sign convention used when specifying its components.
    Better to think of acceleration as Δv/Δt.
    Again, the sign of a vector is rather arbitrary.
    Acceleration is a vector. A negative acceleration just means that the acceleration vector points in the negative direction. For example, if you take up as positive, the acceleration of a falling body will be negative.

4. Mar 1, 2012 #3
    I understand now, it's the direction that is negative, not the magnitude.

Why is it better to think of acceleration as Δv/Δt?
    I guess it just a matter of which is more intuitive/elegant, but maybe there is another reason; is there?

5. Mar 2, 2012 #4
    Acceleration is the derivative of the velocity so it's dv/dt.

The sign of the acceleration can have different criteria, I think an acceleration is negative if the scalar product (dv/dt)•v < 0 and positive if (dv/dt)•v > 0. If the scalar product it's zero then the acceleration is perpendicular to the motion. This is the case in circular motion, for example.

6. Mar 2, 2012 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Well, Δv/Δt is the definition of acceleration (at least average acceleration).

Blindly using Δx/(Δt)2 can lead to silly results. Imagine something moving at a constant velocity of 10 m/s for 1 second. Δx = 10, Δt = 1. Obviously the acceleration is zero here, so that formula fails.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook