1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration directions and friction.

1. Mar 2, 2013 #1
    Ok, I am analysing the situation in the attached image, and I am trying to find the frictional force between the nylon string and the top of the piping, but I am not sure what the value of acceleration will be. I understand how to do this when there is only acceleration due to gravity, but with this, centripetal acceleration is involved. Do I need to use vector resolution and find the total acceleration?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2013 #2

Ok, its very easy. Use total acceleration

4. Mar 2, 2013 #3
    What are the forces acting on the system?

5. Mar 2, 2013 #4
    Only gravity, and then also centripetal force once the rubber stopper begins spinning. But there is also the friction between the string and the pipe

6. Mar 2, 2013 #5

PeterO

Homework Helper

Compared to the other forces involved, that friction is negligible.

7. Mar 2, 2013 #6
    Yes, we also thought so, but we ran an experiment, and we found after comparing our results to what the values really should be using v = √(Fr/m), our values seemed to increase more so than the true values, so we believe that the additional frictional force is contributing and increasing the speed.

8. Mar 2, 2013 #7

PeterO

Homework Helper

Was your piping a glass tube with the ends rounded by heating?

How were you measuring V. Why not start with 4∏2rm / T2 rather than mv2/r - as it is easier to measure the Period.

9. Mar 2, 2013 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Pls explain more about the experimental procedure, what was measured, and the results.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted