Acceleration due to gravity of rod

In summary, the rod has a potential energy of -6.91657*10^7 Joules at a point 0.86 L from the center, and the gravitational acceleration is 11.45 m/s2.
oddjobmj

Homework Statement

Consider a thin rod of mass M and length L. Determine the gravitational potential at a point which is a distance r from the center of the rod and which lies on the midplane of the rod.

Now suppose M is equal to the mass of the Earth and L is equal to the radius of the Earth.

Determine the acceleration due to gravity (of the rod) at a distance r = 0.86 L from the center of the rod.

Homework Equations

[itex]\Phi[/itex](r)=[itex]\int[/itex]L/2-L/2[itex]\frac{-G(M/L)}{sqrt(z^2+r^2)}[/itex]dz

U=mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculate the gravitational potential to be -6.91657*10^7 Joules.

mgh=-6.91657*10^7 Joules

g=[itex]\frac{-6.91657*10^7}{m*h}[/itex]

The distance from the rod is r=.86*L but what is m? If I ignore m I get -12.62 m/s^2 which is incorrect.

Suggestions? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
oddjobmj said:

Homework Statement

Consider a thin rod of mass M and length L. Determine the gravitational potential at a point which is a distance r from the center of the rod and which lies on the midplane of the rod.

Now suppose M is equal to the mass of the Earth and L is equal to the radius of the Earth.

Determine the acceleration due to gravity (of the rod) at a distance r = 0.86 L from the center of the rod.

Homework Equations

[itex]\Phi[/itex](r)=[itex]\int[/itex]L/2-L/2[itex]\frac{-G(M/L)}{sqrt(z^2+r^2)}[/itex]dz

Correct so far... What did you get for the integral?

oddjobmj said:
U=mgh

mgh is the gravitational potential energy of a mass m at height h above the Earth surface. It is irrelevant here.

The [STRIKE]potential[/STRIKE] force in the gravitational field of the rod is the force acting on unit mass. It depends on the mass of the rod and contains the gravitational constant G.

oddjobmj said:

mgh=-6.91657*10^7 Joules

g=[itex]\frac{-6.91657*10^7}{m*h}[/itex]

The distance from the rod is r=.86*L but what is m? If I ignore m I get -12.62 m/s^2 which is incorrect.

Suggestions? Thank you!

That is all wrong. Determine the integral, and substitute r=0.86 L, M= M(Earth) and L= R(Earth)

Edit:
The [STRIKE]potential [/STRIKE] negative gradient of the potential is the magnitude of the gravitational force on unit mass, and the gravitational force exerted on mass m is F=-gradΦ m, and F=ma . The magnitude of the gravitational acceleration is equal to the gradient of the potential at the given point.

ehild

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
ehild said:
The potential in the gravitational field of the rod is the force acting on unit mass.
No, that's the field, the grad of the potential.
oddjobmj said:
Gravitational potential has dimension L2T-2. So J/kg here.
mgh=-6.91657*10^7 Joules
No, you cannot equate the potential to mgh. First, you don't want the m at all. The potential is a property of the field, independently of any mass placed in it. Ditching the m at least makes the dimensions right. But neither is it equal to gh. That would be the potential difference when moving with or against a uniform field for a distance h. The potential is zero at infinity and negative everywhere else.
For the acceleration you need to differentiate the potential wrt r.

Likes 1 person
haruspex said:
No, that's the field, the grad of the potential.
Huh, I made a big mistake. Thank you, haruspex that you warned me.

ehild

Likes 1 person
Ah, not sure what I was thinking. It was a long night. Thank you!

Evaluating the integral I get:

[itex]\frac{-2GMsinh^{-1}(L/2r)}{L}[/itex]

Taking the derivative of that with respect to r I get:

[itex]\frac{2GMr}{(r^2)^{3/2}sqrt{L^2/r^2+4}}[/itex]

Plugging in my known values I get 11.45 m/s2

Thank you both for all your help!

1. What is acceleration due to gravity?

Acceleration due to gravity is the rate at which a freely falling object increases its velocity in the direction of the Earth's gravitational pull. It is typically denoted by the symbol 'g' and has an average value of 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s²).

2. How is the acceleration due to gravity of a rod calculated?

The acceleration due to gravity of a rod can be calculated by dividing the force of gravity on the rod by its mass. This can be expressed as the equation: a = F/m, where 'a' is the acceleration, 'F' is the force of gravity, and 'm' is the mass of the rod.

3. Does the length or weight of a rod affect its acceleration due to gravity?

No, the length or weight of a rod does not affect its acceleration due to gravity. This is because the acceleration due to gravity is a constant value, regardless of the object's mass or size.

4. How does the acceleration due to gravity change with distance from the Earth's surface?

The acceleration due to gravity decreases as the distance from the Earth's surface increases. This is due to the inverse square law, which states that the force of gravity between two objects decreases as the distance between them increases.

5. Can the acceleration due to gravity be negative?

Yes, the acceleration due to gravity can be negative. This occurs when the object is moving in the opposite direction of the Earth's gravitational pull, such as when a ball is thrown upwards. In this case, the acceleration due to gravity would be -9.8 m/s².