How Does Altitude Affect Gravity?

In summary, the question is asking for the acceleration due to gravity on a satellite floating freely in a shuttle at an altitude of 12.000 km above the Earth. The formula used to calculate this is g = GM/r^2, where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the Earth, and r is the distance between the satellite and the center of the Earth. After plugging in the given values, the resulting answer is 9.79882 m/s^2. While this may not be the exact answer required, it is important to note that online problem sites can be picky and may require a more precise answer.
singinglupine
A space shuttle is flying at an altitude of 12.000 km above the Earth. A satellite in its cargo bay is floating freely and its engines are about to boost it to a higher orbit. What is the acceleration due to gravity on the satellite? The radius of the Earth is 6370 km. The mass of the Earth is 5.980×1024 kg. Enter you answer with an accuracy of 0.01%.

This is what I've figured out:

g = GM/r^2 in which r is the radius of the Earth plus my distance 12 km so that I get g =((5.98e24)(6.674e-11))/((6370 +12)*1000)^2

This isn't working for me, I get 9.79882, I've tried many versions of this. Any suggestions where I'm going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try converting km to m and then see what you get.

After adding 12 to 6370, I did multiple it by 1000 to convert to meters.

singinglupine said:
A space shuttle is flying at an altitude of 12.000 km above the Earth. A satellite in its cargo bay is floating freely and its engines are about to boost it to a higher orbit. What is the acceleration due to gravity on the satellite? The radius of the Earth is 6370 km. The mass of the Earth is 5.980×1024 kg. Enter you answer with an accuracy of 0.01%.

This is what I've figured out:

g = GM/r^2 in which r is the radius of the Earth plus my distance 12 km so that I get g =((5.98e24)(6.674e-11))/((6370 +12)*1000)^2

This isn't working for me, I get 9.79882, I've tried many versions of this. Any suggestions where I'm going wrong?

Looks ok to me. :smile:

Thanks, the deadline has passed so the answers will be up in a couple hours and I'll see how far off I was. Sometimes the online problem site will be really picky how close your answer is.

FAQ: How Does Altitude Affect Gravity?

What is acceleration due to gravity?

Acceleration due to gravity is the acceleration that an object experiences due to the force of gravity. It is denoted by the symbol "g" and is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared near the Earth's surface.

How is acceleration due to gravity related to mass and distance?

The acceleration due to gravity is directly proportional to the mass of the object and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the object and the center of the Earth. This means that the greater the mass of the object, the greater the acceleration due to gravity, and the farther away the object is from the center of the Earth, the weaker the acceleration due to gravity.

What is the difference between acceleration due to gravity and gravitational force?

Acceleration due to gravity is the acceleration an object experiences due to the force of gravity, while gravitational force is the force of attraction between two objects with mass. Acceleration due to gravity is a measure of the rate at which an object falls towards the Earth, while gravitational force is a measure of the strength of the force between two objects.

Does acceleration due to gravity vary on different planets?

Yes, acceleration due to gravity varies on different planets depending on their mass and size. For example, the acceleration due to gravity on Mars is approximately 3.7 meters per second squared, while on Jupiter it is approximately 24.8 meters per second squared.

Can acceleration due to gravity be negative?

Yes, acceleration due to gravity can be negative. This occurs when an object is moving in the opposite direction of the force of gravity, such as when an object is thrown upwards and is experiencing a deceleration due to the force of gravity pulling it downwards.

Back