1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration in a Pulley System

1. Jan 22, 2008 #1
    Hey, I'm doing a review packet for my AP Physics class, and I was just looking for some confirmation that I'm on the right track.

Here's the image of the problem: http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/2681/imgrx6.jpg

Ignore the scribbles. i'm using the formula a = ((mB)(g)- (µ)(mA)(g)(cos Ø)) / (mA + mB), and i'm pretty sure the answer is 2 m/s/s for both parts a and c.

Can anyone confirm/deny? Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2008 #2
    you are missing something...

applied force-friction=mass*accln
    50-[.2*100]= 10 *a

this is enough for ya to proceed in second case...

go ahead...
  4. Jan 23, 2008 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Since the situations are physically different, the acceleration will be different. Don't use a canned formula* (which applies only in special cases). Instead, learn to apply first principles (force analysis and Newton's 2nd law)--then you can solve any problem tossed at you without having to memorize dozens of limited-use results.

*Does that equation even make sense for case I? There's only one mass.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?