Acceleration of a ferris wheel

In summary: So you don't even have to think about them. In summary, the acceleration of a ferris wheel undergoing uniform circular motion can't have a tangential acceleration because by definition, this type of motion has an acceleration that is always towards the center and does not have a component in the tangential direction. This is due to the fact that the forces acting on the object, such as gravity and the normal force, are always adjusting to keep the object moving in a circular path.
nashsth
Hi everyone I am confused about the acceleration of a ferris wheel undergoing uniform circular motion. By definition, the wheel undergoing uniform circular motion can't have a tangential acceleration, but I am confused as to why. I attached a diagram below to show you what I mean. Could you please clarify this confusion?

Thanks! :-)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/132657700@N04/22089785996/in/dateposted-public/

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

The acceleration due to gravity is separate, always in the same direction (only tangential twice per revolution) and so not part of the tangential acceleration due to uniform circular motion (which, as you say, is by definition zero).

I assume that blue dot is, say, a person riding that Ferris wheel undergoing uniform circular motion. Does gravity have a tangential component? Sure (except at top and bottom). But gravity is not the only force acting on the person. The net force will be centripetal.

Likes nashsth
Hi, could you please expand on what you said? I didn't understand when you said the acceleration due to gravity is separate. :-(

nashsth said:
Hi, could you please expand on what you said? I didn't understand when you said the acceleration due to gravity is separate. :-(
Whether it is separate or not really is an issue of what the specific problem is asking you or specific explanation is referring to. There is nothing beyond that: it is either separate or it isn't, because someone wants it to be or doesn't.

nashsth said:
I attached a diagram below to show you what I mean.
The force from the wheel on the blue mass has a tangential component, which cancels the tangential component of gravity.

nashsth said:
Hi everyone I am confused about the acceleration of a ferris wheel undergoing uniform circular motion. By definition, the wheel undergoing uniform circular motion can't have a tangential acceleration, but I am confused as to why. I attached a diagram below to show you what I mean. Could you please clarify this confusion?

Thanks! :-)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/132657700@N04/22089785996/in/dateposted-public/
We follow Newton's second law to the letter. What are all the forces on the object (the blue dot)? First is gravity, always downward and equal in magnitude to mg, two is the force by whatever seat or harness is in contact with the object. This could include a normal force + friction. These forces must be together equal to the mass m times the acceleration. What is the acceleration? Since the object is moving in uniform circular motion, the acceleration is always toward the center and equal in magnitude to mv^2/r. There is no tangential acceleration in uniform circular motion. So the vector sum of the forces listed above must be equal to the mass times the acceleration. End of story.

Chandra Prayaga said:
We follow Newton's second law to the letter. What are all the forces on the object (the blue dot)? First is gravity, always downward and equal in magnitude to mg, two is the force by whatever seat or harness is in contact with the object. This could include a normal force + friction. These forces must be together equal to the mass m times the acceleration. What is the acceleration? Since the object is moving in uniform circular motion, the acceleration is always toward the center and equal in magnitude to mv^2/r. There is no tangential acceleration in uniform circular motion. So the vector sum of the forces listed above must be equal to the mass times the acceleration. End of story.
To further elaborate on what I wrote above, the normal force and the friction will keep adjusting all the time so that their sum, along with gravity, always gives the m tiomes the acceleration toward the center.

1. How is acceleration calculated for a ferris wheel?

Acceleration for a ferris wheel can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

2. What factors affect the acceleration of a ferris wheel?

The acceleration of a ferris wheel is affected by the radius of the wheel, the speed of rotation, and the angle of the arms. The mass of the riders may also play a role in the acceleration.

3. How does the acceleration of a ferris wheel affect the riders?

The acceleration of a ferris wheel affects the riders by causing a change in their velocity. This can result in a feeling of weightlessness or a sensation of being pushed against the seat.

4. Is the acceleration of a ferris wheel constant?

No, the acceleration of a ferris wheel is not constant. It changes depending on the position of the riders on the wheel and the angle of the arms. At the top of the wheel, the acceleration is at its lowest, while at the bottom it is at its highest.

5. How does the direction of the acceleration change during a ride on a ferris wheel?

The direction of the acceleration on a ferris wheel changes continuously as the wheel rotates. At the top of the wheel, the acceleration is directed towards the center of the wheel, while at the bottom it is directed away from the center.