Acceleration of a frictionless block on a frictionless wedge

In summary: Nor had I, especially since x is specifically drawn in his solution diagram as being the normal horizontal axisThe OP's diagram does show the axes for the block, but they don't stand out. (Waldo axes)
VinnieD

Homework Statement

IMG_0684.JPG

There is no friction between any surfaces mass is known. Find acceleration of the blocks.

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

IMG_0694.JPG

I'm almost certian
Amx=g sin θ
AMy=0

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm... Why wouldn't the acceleration in the x direction be affected by the mass of the objects?

Likes haruspex
VinnieD said:
Amx=g sin θ
AMy=0
Yes, these look correct.

Most of your work looks OK to me.

upload_2017-7-6_14-49-9.png

The part x-ed out in red is incorrect, but it doesn't look like you used that part.

Look at your final equation circled in blue. Can you see a substitution that you can make for ##N_m## in this equation that would allow you to solve for the acceleration of the wedge, ##a_{Mx}##?

One of the key equations for this problem is the constraint ##a_{my} = -a_{Mx} \sin \theta## (boxed in green). But I don't see where you showed how you obtained this.

VinnieD said:
Amx=g sin θ
That would be true if the wedge were fixed. But imagine if the wedge were not only frictionless but extremely light. The block would be almost in free fall.

haruspex said:
That would be true if the wedge were fixed. But imagine if the wedge were not only frictionless but extremely light. The block would be almost in free fall.
For the block, the x direction is parallel to the incline. So, free fall acceleration would have an x-component of magnitude g sinθ.

TSny said:
For the block, the x direction is parallel to the incline. So, free fall acceleration would have an x-component of magnitude g sinθ.
I had not picked up that x was defined as parallel to the slope.

Likes person123
haruspex said:
I had not picked up that x was defined as parallel to the slope.
Nor had I, especially since x is specifically drawn in his solution diagram as being the normal horizontal axis

The OP's diagram does show the axes for the block, but they don't stand out. (Waldo axes)
But the x-axis is drawn up the slope, so amx would be negative in this case.

1. How is acceleration calculated for a frictionless block on a frictionless wedge?

The acceleration of a frictionless block on a frictionless wedge can be calculated using Newton's Second Law, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In this case, the only force acting on the block is gravity, which can be resolved into two components: perpendicular to the wedge's surface and parallel to the wedge's surface. The perpendicular component does not contribute to the block's acceleration, while the parallel component does. Therefore, the acceleration of the block is equal to the parallel component of gravity divided by the block's mass.

2. How does the angle of the wedge affect the acceleration of the block?

The angle of the wedge does not affect the acceleration of the block, as long as the wedge and block remain frictionless. This is because the only force acting on the block is gravity, which is always perpendicular to the wedge's surface. Therefore, the acceleration of the block will remain constant regardless of the angle of the wedge.

3. What is the effect of adding friction to the block or wedge?

If friction is added to either the block or the wedge, it will affect the block's acceleration. Friction is a force that opposes motion, so it will act in the opposite direction of the block's motion. This means that it will reduce the acceleration of the block. The exact amount of reduction will depend on the coefficient of friction between the surfaces and the force of gravity acting on the block.

4. Can the acceleration of the block ever be greater than the acceleration of gravity?

No, the acceleration of the block cannot be greater than the acceleration of gravity. This is because gravity is the only force acting on the block and it always acts in the direction of acceleration. The acceleration of the block can only be equal to or less than the acceleration of gravity.

5. How does the mass of the block affect its acceleration on a frictionless wedge?

The mass of the block does not affect its acceleration on a frictionless wedge. This is because acceleration is directly proportional to force and inversely proportional to mass. In this scenario, the only force acting on the block is gravity, which is constant. Therefore, the mass of the block will cancel out in the calculation of acceleration, and the acceleration will remain the same regardless of the block's mass.