1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Acceleration of a gas into a vacuum

1. Jul 26, 2017 #1
    Set up: Gas on one side of a divider and an infinite vacuum on the other.

Question: When you remove the divider, over time, does the gas increase in acceleration, does it peak and then decrease or does it remain the same as the gas enters the vacuum/ leaves the side opposite the vacuum?f

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2017 #2
    What are your thoughts on this?

4. Jul 26, 2017 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

What does this mean?

5. Jul 26, 2017 #4
    What I meant was, does the flow of gas into the vacuum go faster, stay the same or slow down over the time it takes for it to flow into the vacuum. I hope that is clear. If not, please let me know and I'll try again.

6. Jul 26, 2017 #5
    Well....its been a long, long time since I studied physics in college and frankly, I don't remember much theory. Within those parameters my thought is that, as the amount of gas in that chamber decreases I'd expect the speed that it flows into the vacuum to slow.

On the other hand, the "pull" of the vacuum, while slightly reduced by the introduction of the gas (slightly reducing the quality of the vacuum), will continue unchanged. If this is true then the speed of the gas leaving its chamber should remain constant. As you can see, I am torn on which is the correct analysis.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted