Acceleration of two masses on pulley.

In summary, the problem involves two masses connected by massless and frictionless pulleys and string. The coefficients of friction are µs = 0.35 and µk = 0.25 between mass m1 and the table. The masses are m1 = 8.0 kg and m2 = 8.0 kg. The acceleration of block 1 is positive while the acceleration of block 2 is negative. The equation for the tension in the string can be obtained by substituting the acceleration of block 2 into the first T equation. However, the correct equation is obtained by subtracting the two T equations. Using the conservation of energy, the problem can be solved by writing an equation involving the kinetic energy and potential
ladymiresa

Homework Statement

Two masses are connected by massless and frictionless pulleys and string. The coefficients of friction are µs = 0.35 and µk = 0.25 between mass m1 and the table. The masses are m1 = 8.0 kg and m2 = 8.0 kg.
EHnDWHJ.png

Find the acceleration of each mass and the tension in the string. (Note: Because of the pulley, if m1 moves a distance L, then m2 moves half that amount, a distance L/2. Think about how this affects the relative acceleration of the two blocks.)

Homework Equations

a1=-1/2a2
fk=ukn=-ukm1g
T-ukm1g=m1a1
T-m2g=m2a2

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the acceleration of block 2 will be negative since it is falling and block 1 will have a positive acceleration since it is moving towards the right.
Ok, I hope I am right in assuming that the accelerations are related as I've written above.
I substituted the a2 into into the first T equation to get T-ukg=-(1/2)m1a2.To cancel the T out, I subtracted the equations to get: (m2-ukm1)g=-1/2 (m2+m1)a2

Then punching in my variables I got a2=-7.35 m/s^2 which I was pleased to see is negative. But then if I use my relationship as a1=-1/2 a2 then I get a1=3.7m/s^2, which is at least positive. But I don't think it makes sense that the acceleration of block 2 would be faster than block 1?

I can't decide where I went wrong? I think it might be my relationship between the two accelerations, but today I asked my professor and she said it looked OK. So now I think I messed something up with the friction... I'm using kinetic but the problem also gave static... do I need to use both? Or does fk not equal ukmg?

I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The first three equations look OK. It is not obvious to me how you got your fourth equation, as the tension T on the string is not directly pulling the pulley upwards but rather is going around the pulley. I would expect the upward force on ##m_2## to be either half or double of T, but it could be something else. I doubt that it's T though.

When you subtract the two T equations you get
##(m_2-\mu_km_1)g=-\frac{1}{2}(m_2+m_1)a_2##
but the correct subtraction gives
##(m_2-\mu_km_1)g=-\frac{1}{2}(2m_2+m_1)a_2##

I find problems like this easier to do by using conservation of energy, so that we don't need to try to work out difficult things like what is the upward force on ##m_2##.

Approaching it that way, we can write an equation:

KE of m1 + KE of m2 = loss of PE of m2 + distance moved by m1 x sliding frictional force on m1

This gives an equation in tems of ##s_1,s_2,\dot{s}_1,\dot{s}_2## where ##s_i## is the displacement of mass ##i## from its starting position (so that ##a_i=\ddot{s}_i##). Using your first equation, we can reduce that to an equation in ##s_1## and ##\dot{s}_1##, which is easily solved by integrating and using the initial conditions that, presumably ##\dot{s}_1(0)=0## and defining ##s_1(0)## to be 0.

You can then get the accelerations of the two masses by differentiating, and get the tension from your third equation.

1. What is the acceleration of two masses on a pulley?

The acceleration of two masses on a pulley is determined by the net force acting on the system. It is given by the formula a = (m1-m2)g/(m1+m2), where m1 and m2 are the masses on either side of the pulley and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How does the acceleration change if the masses are equal?

If the masses on either side of the pulley are equal, the acceleration will be zero. This is because the net force acting on the system is zero, resulting in no acceleration.

3. What factors affect the acceleration of two masses on a pulley?

The acceleration of two masses on a pulley is affected by the masses of the objects, the force applied to the system, and the friction between the pulley and the string. Additionally, the angle of the string and the coefficient of friction can also impact the acceleration.

4. Can the acceleration of two masses on a pulley ever be greater than the acceleration due to gravity?

No, the acceleration of two masses on a pulley can never be greater than the acceleration due to gravity. This is because the maximum force that can be exerted by the system is equal to the weight of the two masses combined, which is equal to their total mass multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity.

5. How does the direction of the acceleration change if the pulley is frictionless?

If the pulley is frictionless, the direction of the acceleration will be the same on both sides of the pulley. This is because there is no force opposing the motion, allowing the masses to move freely and accelerate in the same direction.