1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration Problem due to Rotational Inertia [Exam in 9hrs!]

1. Dec 17, 2007 #1
    [URGENT] Acceleration Problem due to Rotational Inertia [Exam in 9hrs!]

yes i know i might be late but i hope somebody can help me out with this problem because i cant figure it out. Exact word for word:

A block of mass m2= 12kg hangs from a rope. The rope wraps around a pulley and then attaches to a second block of mass m1=8kg, which sits on a frictionless table. The radius of the pulley is .10m and its rotational inertia is I=.040 kg-m2. What is the acceleration of the blocks when they are released.

here is how it looks:

http://spiff.rit.edu/classes/phys311/workshops/w5b/level_atwood/cart_and_weight.gif

a modified atwood machine.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2007 #2
    You essentially need to draw 3 free body diagrams. Use Newton's Second Law to set up the equations for the two blocks, and Newton's Second Law for rotational motion, [tex] \Sigma \tau = I \alpha [/tex] to set up an equation for the net torque on the massive pulley. Also note, you'll want to use the rolling constraint [tex] a = r \alpha[/tex] to get the angular acceleration in terms of "a." Does this help?

4. Dec 17, 2007 #3
    sort of i was using
    a=F/m
    F=m2g->12*9.80=118
    m=12kg + 8kg
    a=5.9

but its not one of the choices which are:
    a. 3.5
    b. 3.9
    c. 2.5
    d. less than 2.5
    e. cannot be determined

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?