Acceleration, velocity, and position.

In summary, the problem involves finding the distance it takes for a car to stop from 40 mph, assuming constant deceleration. The solution involves using the equation a dx = v dv and integrating to find the distance.
shark3189

Homework Statement

The speed of a car traveling in a straight line is reduced from 55 to 40 mph in a distance of 362 feet. Find the distance in which the car can be brought to rest from 40 mph, assuming the same constant deceleration. (You must show the calculus behind your response)

Homework Equations

a(t) = v'(t) = d''(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

Since acceleration is constant,
a(t) = c1
v(t) = c1*x + c2
d(t) = .5*c1*x^2 + c2*x + c3
I have no idea where to go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is an equation relating acceleration, velocity and distance...

hint, hint: it looks a lot like conservation of energy...

yea but my teacher said any equations we use we have to derive, starting from acceleration. from there i integrated the others but i don't know what to plug in.

Try starting with integrating [tex] a = \frac{dv}{dt} = \frac{dv}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt} = v\frac{dv}{dx} [/tex].

ok, if [tex] a(t)=c_1 [/tex]

i get [tex] \int a(t)=v(t)=c_1 t+c_2[/tex]

then i converted everything to feet and seconds, so the velocities are 80.67 ft/sec and 58.67 ft/sec.

i plugged in t=0 and my equation was [tex] v(0)=c_2=80.67 [/tex]

i also got [tex] c_1=\frac{80.67-58.67}{0-362}=-\frac{11}{181} [/tex]

so the velocity equation is [tex] v(t)=\frac{-11t}{181}+80.67 [/tex]

if i set that velocity equation equal to zero, will that give me the distance?

Last edited:
How about integrating the third equality
[tex] a dx = v dv [/tex]

[tex] \int_{0} ^{s} a dx = \int_{v_{0}} ^{v} v dv [/tex] , [tex] a [/tex] is a constant

[tex] 2*a*s = v^{2} - v_{0} ^{2} [/tex]

you have the distance and the initial and final velocities, calculate the acceleration and the plug into the very same equation to find how far it will take to stop the car...

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. In simpler terms, it is how quickly an object's velocity is changing.

How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in an object's velocity by the time it took for that change to occur. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi)/t, where "a" is acceleration, "vf" is final velocity, "vi" is initial velocity, and "t" is time.

What is velocity?

Velocity is the rate of change of an object's position over time. It is also a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. In simpler terms, it is the speed and direction at which an object is moving.

How is velocity different from speed?

Velocity and speed are often used interchangeably, but they are actually different. Speed is the rate of change of distance over time, while velocity is the rate of change of position over time. This means that velocity takes into account the direction of movement, while speed does not.

What is position?

Position is the location of an object in space. It is usually described in terms of distance and direction from a fixed point. In physics, position is often measured in relation to a reference point, such as the origin of a coordinate system.