1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Second order DE problem with initial condition rather than 0

1. Nov 18, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Solve the following DE

y'' + 8y' − 9y = 0, y(1) = 1, y'(1) = 0

2. Relevant equations

Homogenous DE with constant coefficients

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, i solved it normally using a CE and having
    yH= c1 e^t + c2 e^(-9t) ..
    y' = c1 e^t -9 c2 e^(-9t)

I then plugged in 1 in each of the above equation set from the homo. equation and its derivative and set that

c1 e^1 + c2 e^-9 = 1
    c1e^1 -9c2 e^-9=0

I solved the eqns getting c1 =0.33 and c2= 810 getting my final homo. eqn as

y= 0.33 e^t + 810 e^ -9t

HOWEVER, this isn't the answer. The forum asks for my attempt NO? ... Well, the detailed answer just confuses me... Te fact that the I.C is y(0) and it is y(1) instead changes the procedure. I don't know why.. The book gives yh= k1 e^(t-1) + k2 e^-9(t-1) giving a note that c1=k1 e^-1 and c2= k2 e^9 ... They then write y'= k1 e^(t-1) -9 k2 e^-9(t-1)...

I am sorry for making this long but can any PATIENT person give me an explanation to this. I am pretty confused here and thanks in advance to whoever shows up with a good reply. I appreciate it a LOT! :D

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2013 #2

MarneMath

Education Advisor

No procedure has been changed. From looking at what you post, it appears as if the book choose to use properties of exponents to simplify their anticipated answer.

4. Nov 18, 2013 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Also, all you have to do is check whether, for your answer, ##y(1) =1## and ##y'(1) = 0## to within reasonable errors, since you truncated the constants.

5. Nov 18, 2013 #4
    can someone kindly teach me the 'properties of exponents to simplify their anticipated answer.' in this context???

6. Nov 18, 2013 #5

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You're correct. That isn't the answer. It is close to the answer. The issue is that you solved for c1 and c2 numerically. Why? It wouldn't have taken any more effort to solve for it symbolically and obtained an exact answer.

Two things you should notice here. One is that this shift simplifies things a bit. The other is that this is exactly the same as your answer had you solved for your c1 and c2 exactly.

7. Nov 20, 2013 #6
    Thanks a lot guys for your kind hands! I just have a small part falling out. The SHIFT! Consider we begin at y(0) and the roots of the CE is 1 and -1 .. so the homo. equation will be y= c1 e ^( t ) + c2 e^(-t).. Now consider when it begins at 2.. How to do the shift or what steps were done to write the new SHIFTED equation as y=k1 e^ (t-2) + c2 e^-1(t-2)??? Thanks again for your patience

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted