How Do You Set Up r(t) for Line Integrals on Triangular Paths?

• Thread starter makegooduseof
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Line Vector
In summary, you are attempting to integrate a line integral where C is the triangle with the vertices (0,0), (1,0) and (1,2). However, Green's theorem is not allowed in this problem. To solve the problem, you need to find the line segments C1, C2 and C3, C1 from (0,0) to (1,0), C2 from (1,0) to (1,2) and C3 from (1,2) to (0,0). To get the segments, the aforementioned equation would be used.
makegooduseof

Homework Statement

Evaluate a line integral where C is the triangle with the vertices (0,0), (1,0) and (1,2). [Green's Theorem not allowed]

I am omitting the integral expression as I am having trouble with setting up the r(t) expressions for each C.

Homework Equations

r(t) = (1-t)r0 + tr1 (o≤t≤1)

The Attempt at a Solution

So the way to tackle this problem would be to get the line segments C1, C2 and C3, C1 from (0,0) to (1,0), C2 from (1,0) to (1,2) and C3 from (1,2) to (0,0). To get the segments, the aforementioned equation would be used.

C1 was easy enough, with r0 being <0,0> and r1 being <1,0>. r(t) was found to be <t,0>.

C2 is where I began having problems. Calculating r(t) with r0 = <1,0> and r(1) = <1,2> gave the r(t) expression <1, 2t>. When I drew out the graph, I could see that it should be <0, t>. So my question is, what am I doing wrong? And if I see a similar problem where I can see a visible straight horizontal or vertical line, I should just go with a <0, t> or a <t, 0> expression?

Physics news on Phys.org
If I follow you: just focus on where you are going and how you're are going to get there...

Going from (0,0) to (0,1) as t goes from 0 to a:
... you need x=0 all the time, and y=0 when t=0, and y=1 when t=a.
The easiest thing to do is fit that data into the equation for a line: y=mt+c.
- so y=t/a ... the line element here is dl = dy = dt/a

Going from (0,1) to (1,0) as t goes from a to b would be ...
... in this case, both of them are changing. note that dl/dt is determined by pythagoras.

Going from (1,0) to (0,0) as t goes from b to c would be ... similar to the first one so try this first.

You can make a,b,c anything you like.

Simon Bridge said:
If I follow you: just focus on where you are going and how you're are going to get there...

Going from (0,0) to (0,1) as t goes from 0 to a:
... you need x=0 all the time, and y=0 when t=0, and y=1 when t=a.
The easiest thing to do is fit that data into the equation for a line: y=mt+c.
- so y=t/a ... the line element here is dl = dy = dt/a

Going from (0,1) to (1,0) as t goes from a to b would be ...
... in this case, both of them are changing. note that dl/dt is determined by pythagoras.

Going from (1,0) to (0,0) as t goes from b to c would be ... similar to the first one so try this first.

You can make a,b,c anything you like.

I'm sorry, I don't quite understand your explanation. Do you think you could frame this based on the problem I uploaded?

I believe I did relate it to you problem - that's what the examples were for.

I'd love to do more but that would involve doing your homework for you.
I'll try give you an example.

You are trying to get ##\int_C f\;\text{d}l## ...

You have f(x,y) and you need f(t) ... to turn this into an integral wrt t, you have to express x and y in terms of t and dl in terms of dt.

For instance, if the first leg of the path C is C1 goes along the ##x## axis from ##x=0## to ##x=2##, then we pick a range of values of ##t## to represent this by ... 0-2 looks good, then ##x(t)=t## and ##y(t)=0##. See how this works?

I am free to choose any range of t-values I like. eg. if I pick 0-1, then ##x(t)=2t##, and if I picked 0-pi, then ##x(t)=2t/\pi## see the difference? So I pick the one that makes the math easiest. You get a feel for the good choices with practice so feel free to play around a bit.

Remains only to convert dl - which is the length along the path between t and t+dt
You can do this just by examination - but by algebra: dl=|PQ| where P is the position at time t, and Q is the position at time t+dt. In this case, ##P=(t,0)## and ##Q=(t+dt,0)## so ##\text{d}l=|PQ|=dt##.

So the integral for the first leg is: $$\int_{C_1}f(x,y)\text{d}l = \int_0^2 f(t,0)dt$$

... clearer now?

It's a good idea to sketch the path out on graph paper.

Last edited:
Simon Bridge said:
I believe I did relate it to you problem - that's what the examples were for.

I'd love to do more but that would involve doing your homework for you.
I'll try give you an example.

You are trying to get ##\int_C f\;\text{d}l## ...

You have f(x,y) and you need f(t) ... to turn this into an integral wrt t, you have to express x and y in terms of t and dl in terms of dt.

For instance, if the first leg of the path C is C1 goes along the ##x## axis from ##x=0## to ##x=2##, then we pick a range of values of ##t## to represent this by ... 0-2 looks good, then ##x(t)=t## and ##y(t)=0##. See how this works?

I am free to choose any range of t-values I like. eg. if I pick 0-1, then ##x(t)=2t##, and if I picked 0-pi, then ##x(t)=2t/\pi## see the difference? So I pick the one that makes the math easiest. You get a feel for the good choices with practice so feel free to play around a bit.

Remains only to convert dl - which is the length along the path between t and t+dt
You can do this just by examination - but by algebra: dl=|PQ| where P is the position at time t, and Q is the position at time t+dt. In this case, ##P=(t,0)## and ##Q=(t+dt,0)## so ##\text{d}l=|PQ|=dt##.

So the integral for the first leg is: $$\int_{C_1}f(x,y)\text{d}l = \int_0^2 f(t,0)dt$$

... clearer now?

It's a good idea to sketch the path out on graph paper.

Yes, much clearer, thank you.

So basically you're saying that when I set the interval for t, it doesn't always have to be from 0 to 1, and based on what I see on the graph, I don't always need to use the equation I mentioned earlier?

That's right - you can set the range from 0 to 1 if you want, it just changes some constants in the parameterization. You can try it out on a simple structure ... say ##f(x,y)=x+y##

Likes 1 person

Related to How Do You Set Up r(t) for Line Integrals on Triangular Paths?

1. What is a line segment?

A line segment is a straight path between two points on a line. It has a definite length and can be measured using a ruler.

2. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector.

3. How is a line segment represented using a vector?

A line segment can be represented using a vector by choosing one of the endpoints as the origin, and the other endpoint as the tip of the vector. The magnitude of the vector is equal to the length of the line segment.

4. What is the difference between a line segment and a vector?

A line segment is a physical object, while a vector is a mathematical concept. A line segment has a fixed length and location, while a vector can be translated and scaled without changing its direction.

5. How can vectors be used to solve problems involving line segments?

Vectors can be used to calculate the length and direction of a line segment, as well as to find the coordinates of points on the line segment. They can also be used to represent and solve geometric problems involving multiple line segments.