Accelerometer to Frequency and Amplitude

• Thread starter rd42
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I have a spreadsheet of Accelerometer data out of an iPhone and I have calculated the displacement in the three axis. I would like to figure out how to take this info and calculate the frequency, avg. amplitude, and the highest amplitude. Excel has a frequency function but I would like to understand that math, so I could make the phone calculate this.

Thank you for any help.

Don't worry, this isn't home work, I'm an old f*rt.

Attachments

Answers and Replies

Couldn't open your file with my old Y2K Excel, but I looked at the FREQUENCY function in the help and I think that it is a sort of histogram. I first though it might be an FFT thing, but it looks like it just counts the number of times each specific value or range appears in the input data set.

There was (maybe still a separate package) an Excel "Data Analysis" package that had a statistical summary function. It calculates max, min, mean, median and such for a data set. That package also had a regular histogram where you can bin your data and count how many of each. If you don't know what all those m'words are, have a look at a stat's introduction, probably wiki is a good place to start.

If those functions are what you want, then rolling your own is mostly an exercise in iterating through the set and summing/counting the various values.