Accessing the text code of an HTML file for editing

In summary: Thank you!In summary, when I tried to edit my HTML file (pushed wrong button?) using Word (my only editor which now seems to accept HTML), the webpage would appear, rather than the text code. I am using Windows 7 on a PC. To edit the text code within an HTML file without the webpage popping up instead, I downloaded notepad++ and used that. Problem solved.
Loren Booda
I had installed FileZilla FTP freeware on my computer.

Later, I was unable to edit my HTML file (pushed wrong button?) Whenever I tried to open or edit it using Word (my only editor which now seems to accept HTML), the webpage would appear, rather than the text code. I am using Windows 7 on a PC.

How do I edit the text code within an HTML file without the webpage popping up instead?

Technology news on Phys.org
Get a real HTML editor. Word is a WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) word processor. Open it in Notepad (or Wordpad... or whatever it is in Windows 7) if you don't feel like downloading a 3rd party text editor.

You might try something like notepad++ to edit that.

Not sure how you'd tell Office to show it to you as markup. I suppose you could change the file extension from .html to .txt so it thinks it's just a text file. Lame, and a hack, but will probably work.

Can't say more since I run Linux and LibreOffice. But notepad++ is pretty a pretty good Windows editor, and it's free. It should solve that problem.

Get notepad++. It's great, as far as Windows editors go. (You should really use vim. :wink:)

If I have a NoteBook document in HTML code, how do I label its extension as .html and insure that it can appear on the web?

If I have an HTML document that consistently appears as a webpage when I attempt to open, view or edit it, how do I access the text code for editing?

Loren Booda said:
If I have a NoteBook document in HTML code, how do I label its extension as .html and insure that it can appear on the web?

I don't know NoteBook, but I did a quick search and I understand it saves as a text file by default. You should just be able to save it with the .html file extension (i.e. Save As...). That's what it looks like to me right now. Just about every GUI text editor I've ever seen works that way.

Loren Booda said:
If I have an HTML document that consistently appears as a webpage when I attempt to open, view or edit it, how do I access the text code for editing?

The tools for that job are a normal text editor or some kind of HTML editor. Use one of those and it shouldn't be an issue. If you just double-click the file in your file manager, it'll probably just load it in your browser. You should be able to right click on it and choose something like "Open with..." and choose the right editor. Or you can start the editor directly and open it from there.

My overall advice is still the same. Download notepad++ and use that. Problem solved.

I'll echo the Notepad++ recommendation. I cringe at the thought of trying to use Word to edit html. Notepad++ is a free and open source program; it really is the best text editor for Windows.
http://notepad-plus-plus.org/

At the very least, use Microsoft's built in Notepad rather than Word.

You all are wonderful! Notepad++ works beautifully!

1. What is the purpose of accessing the text code of an HTML file for editing?

By accessing the text code of an HTML file, you can make changes to the structure and content of a webpage. This allows you to customize the appearance and functionality of your website.

2. How do I access the text code of an HTML file for editing?

To access the text code of an HTML file, you can use a text editor such as Notepad or a code editor like Visual Studio Code. Simply open the HTML file in the editor and you will be able to view and edit the code.

3. Can I edit the text code of an HTML file without affecting the visual appearance of the webpage?

Yes, you can make changes to the text code of an HTML file without affecting the visual appearance of the webpage. However, any changes to the structure or content of the code will eventually impact the visual appearance of the webpage.

4. Are there any risks involved with accessing the text code of an HTML file for editing?

If you are not familiar with HTML and its syntax, there is a risk of accidentally making errors in the code that may result in the webpage not functioning properly. It is important to have a backup of the original file in case any mistakes are made.

5. Can I edit the text code of an HTML file on a mobile device?

While it is possible to access and edit the text code of an HTML file on a mobile device, it is not recommended as the small screen and limited functionality may make it difficult to make changes accurately. It is best to use a computer or laptop for editing HTML files.