Is x an Accumulation Point of A in the Real Numbers?

In summary: No, you're right. the proof seemed too simple so I thought I was missing something. Makes sense now.In summary, you are trying to show that if every neighborhood of some x in A contains infinitely many points of A, then x is an accumulation point of A. However, you need to prove that this intersection is infinite in order to do so.
autre
I need to show that if every neighborhood of some [itex]x\in A[/itex] for some [itex]A\subseteq\mathbb{R}[/itex] contains infinitely many points of [itex]A[/itex], then [itex]x[/itex] is an accumulation point of [itex]A[/itex].

So far, I have:

Let [itex]A\subseteq\mathbb{R}[/itex]. I want to show that if every neighborhood of [itex]x\in A[/itex] has infinitely many points of A, there exists a [itex]y\in\mathbb{R}[/itex] such that [itex]y\in((x-\epsilon,x+\epsilon)\bigcap A[/itex]\{x}).

Am I on the right track?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good.

I'm having some trouble finding that [itex]y[/itex].

Let A⊆R. Define the neighborhood of x∈A as (x−ϵ,x+ϵ) [itex]\forall\epsilon>0[/itex]. Since x∈A, (x−ϵ,x+ϵ)⋂A is not empty. Let y∈(x−ϵ,x+ϵ)⋂A...how do I show that [itex]y\not=x[/itex]?

Thanks!

autre said:
I'm having some trouble finding that [itex]y[/itex].

Let A⊆R. Define the neighborhood of x∈A as (x−ϵ,x+ϵ) [itex]\forall\epsilon>0[/itex]. Since x∈A, (x−ϵ,x+ϵ)⋂A is not empty. Let y∈(x−ϵ,x+ϵ)⋂A...how do I show that [itex]y\not=x[/itex]?

You can't in general. It could very well be that you chose y=x. Your choice doesn't disallow this. However, you know that (x−ϵ,x+ϵ)⋂A is infinite. So it doesn't only contain x, does it??

However, you know that (x−ϵ,x+ϵ)⋂A is infinite.

Right, but don't I have to prove that this intersection is infinite? I'm trying to show that x is an accumulation point, but (x−ϵ,x+ϵ)⋂A being infinite presupposes x being an accumulation point, right?

autre said:
if every neighborhood of some [itex]x\in A[/itex] for some [itex]A\subseteq\mathbb{R}[/itex] contains infinitely many points of [itex]A[/itex], then [itex]x[/itex] is an accumulation point of [itex]A[/itex].

I might be missing something, but you're trying to prove the definition of an accumulation point (which you can't do). The assumption is that every neighborhood of some x in A contains infinitely many points of A. Therefore, it is an accumulation point by definition.

autre said:
Right, but don't I have to prove that this intersection is infinite? I'm trying to show that x is an accumulation point, but (x−ϵ,x+ϵ)⋂A being infinite presupposes x being an accumulation point, right?

Isn't that given?? The first line of the post is

if every neighborhood of some x∈A for some A⊆R contains infinitely many points of A

So you are given that the neigbourhood (x−ϵ,x+ϵ) contains infinitely many points of A.

Or am I totally misunderstanding your question?

Or am I totally misunderstanding your question?

No, you're right. the proof seemed too simple so I thought I was missing something. Makes sense now.

What is an accumulation point?

An accumulation point is a point in a set of real numbers that is approached by an infinite number of points in the set. It does not necessarily have to be a part of the set itself, but it can be a limit of points within the set.

How is an accumulation point different from a limit point?

An accumulation point and a limit point are often used interchangeably, but there is a subtle difference between the two. A limit point must have points in the set that are arbitrarily close to it, while an accumulation point only needs an infinite number of points to be close to it.

What is the definition of an accumulation point?

The formal definition of an accumulation point is: Let A be a subset of real numbers. A point x is an accumulation point of A if for every positive number ε, there exists a point in A, different from x, such that it lies within a distance of ε from x.

Why is the concept of accumulation points important in mathematics?

Accumulation points are important in mathematics because they provide a way to define limits and continuity in a more general setting. They also help in the development of concepts such as convergence and compactness in mathematical analysis.

How is the concept of accumulation points used in real-world applications?

The concept of accumulation points is used in various real-world applications, such as data analysis, signal processing, and machine learning. It helps in identifying patterns and trends in large datasets, and in predicting future behavior based on past data.