1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acoustic Observatory - Low-Cost

1. Aug 21, 2013 #1
    Acoustic Observatory -- Low-Cost

Check out my Acoustic Observatory

It uses well-known and obvious principles of operation to "see" thunder at great distances. It cost about $50 to build, including the red laser diode -- but not including the front surface mirror which has been lying around my "lab" since the late nineties. (It's a small unmounted mirror, 1" x 1"; I wouldn't have paid more than ~$20 for it.)

My goal with this simple device was to "see" thunder from storms approaching from west of Washington, D.C. "See" the thunder, that is, before I could hear it, maybe hours before I could hear it.

Also I wanted to "see" certain long-wave sounds called "microbaroms" that, according to the Wikipedia, are created by storms at sea. I hope, if hurricanes come up the east coast this fall, to see plausible signals of microbaroms, which supposedly travel thousands of miles.

I'm posting this because the laser-and-mirror method of this Acoustic Observatory seems like a low-cost way to detect certain small signals. Seismic signals, for instance, very small ones as come from traffic a quarter-mile distant might be detectable. You can see a schematic diagram of a possible Seismic Observatory.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2013 #2
    thats a pretty nice instrument , wonderful thing , but are there any other sources of microbaroms other than hurricanes ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook