Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Acoustical absorption

1. Mar 3, 2017 #1
    What is the formula to calculate acoustic absorption in water? particularly sound in the ultrasonic range.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2017 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi there
    welcome to PF

doesn't matter what frequency

attenuation is proportional to the freq 2

there's dozens of hits on google when ultrasonic sound absorption in water is typed in

http://www.bing.com/search?q=ultras...opResult&FORM=IETR02&conversationid=&pc=EUPP_

time for you to go do some reading :smile:

cheers
    Dave

4. Mar 7, 2017 #3
    thanks dave

i understand that Attenuation is the gradual decrease/dissipation of Acoustical energy whereas Absorption is the acoustical energy being takenup by the medium; in this case, acoustical energy is converted to heat.

Like u said attenuation has a proportional relationship to the frequency. However, there is not really a standard Absorption formula or absorption coefficient.If there was I probably, havent found it or unable to comprehend. From what i found; at different frequencies, the absorption coefficient varies. Correct me if i'm wrong.

5. Mar 7, 2017 #4

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

not whereas ..... attenuation is the result of absorption ( and dispersion) :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted