1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Acoustical absorption

1. Mar 3, 2017 #1
    What is the formula to calculate acoustic absorption in water? particularly sound in the ultrasonic range.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2017 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi there
    welcome to PF

doesn't matter what frequency

attenuation is proportional to the freq 2

there's dozens of hits on google when ultrasonic sound absorption in water is typed in

http://www.bing.com/search?q=ultras...opResult&FORM=IETR02&conversationid=&pc=EUPP_

time for you to go do some reading :smile:

cheers
    Dave

4. Mar 7, 2017 #3
    thanks dave

i understand that Attenuation is the gradual decrease/dissipation of Acoustical energy whereas Absorption is the acoustical energy being takenup by the medium; in this case, acoustical energy is converted to heat.

Like u said attenuation has a proportional relationship to the frequency. However, there is not really a standard Absorption formula or absorption coefficient.If there was I probably, havent found it or unable to comprehend. From what i found; at different frequencies, the absorption coefficient varies. Correct me if i'm wrong.

5. Mar 7, 2017 #4

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

not whereas ..... attenuation is the result of absorption ( and dispersion) :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted