Acoustic Absorption Calculation: Ultrasonic Sound in Water

In summary, the formula for calculating acoustic absorption in water, particularly in the ultrasonic range, is not standardized and varies at different frequencies. Attenuation, which is the gradual decrease of acoustical energy, is proportional to frequency. Absorption, on the other hand, is the conversion of acoustical energy into heat and is a result of attenuation and dispersion. More information can be found through a simple search on Google or Bing.
Haziq Zaini
What is the formula to calculate acoustic absorption in water? particularly sound in the ultrasonic range.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there
welcome to PF

Haziq Zaini said:
What is the formula to calculate acoustic absorption in water? particularly sound in the ultrasonic range.

doesn't matter what frequency

attenuation is proportional to the freq 2

there's dozens of hits on google when ultrasonic sound absorption in water is typed in

http://www.bing.com/search?q=ultras...opResult&FORM=IETR02&conversationid=&pc=EUPP_

time for you to go do some reading :smile:

cheers
Dave

thanks dave

i understand that Attenuation is the gradual decrease/dissipation of Acoustical energy whereas Absorption is the acoustical energy being takenup by the medium; in this case, acoustical energy is converted to heat.

Like u said attenuation has a proportional relationship to the frequency. However, there is not really a standard Absorption formula or absorption coefficient.If there was I probably, haven't found it or unable to comprehend. From what i found; at different frequencies, the absorption coefficient varies. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Haziq Zaini said:
whereas Absorption is the acoustical energy being takenup by the medium; in this case, acoustical energy is converted to heat.

not whereas ... attenuation is the result of absorption ( and dispersion) :smile:

1. What is acoustic absorption calculation?

Acoustic absorption calculation is a process used to determine the amount of sound energy that is absorbed by a material or medium, such as water, at a given frequency.

2. Why is it important to calculate acoustic absorption in water?

It is important to calculate acoustic absorption in water because it affects the propagation of sound waves and can impact underwater communication, sonar systems, and other acoustic applications.

3. How is acoustic absorption in water measured?

Acoustic absorption in water is typically measured using an ultrasonic transducer, which emits a sound wave at a specific frequency and measures the amount of energy that is absorbed by the water. This data is then used to calculate the absorption coefficient.

4. What factors affect acoustic absorption in water?

The main factors that affect acoustic absorption in water are the frequency of the sound wave, the temperature and salinity of the water, and the presence of any suspended particles or bubbles.

5. How can acoustic absorption in water be reduced?

Acoustic absorption in water can be reduced by using materials with low absorption coefficients, such as certain types of foam or rubber, or by altering the properties of the water, such as decreasing its temperature or salinity.