Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Action and equations of motion

1. Aug 30, 2007 #1
    Hello !

I'm reading Landau/Lifchitz's mechanics book.

At equation (2.8), the author explains that when I add a time derivative of any function of time and coordinates f(q,t) to the lagrangian, the equations of motion are unchanged.

I understand the mathematical development leading to S' = S + f(q(2),t_2) + f(q(1),t_1), but I can't see why the equations of motion don't change.

I've tried to substitude the lagrangian of equation (2.8) in the Euler-Lagrange equations to convince myself it works, but that doesn't seem to be a good idea.

If you don't have this book and can't see what I'm talking about, I can provide you with more details.

Thank you !
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2007 #2
    More details would certainly be appreciated :)
  4. Aug 30, 2007 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Okay [itex] L'=L+\frac{d}{dt}f(q,t) [/itex]. Compute the E-L equations for S' defined in terms of L'. Can you do it ?
  5. Aug 30, 2007 #4
    action.jpg (click on it, obviously my attachment becomes very small...)

Like this ? If this is correct, I don't see why the two last terms should disappear...
  6. Aug 30, 2007 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Perfect so far. Now who's

[tex] \frac{d}{dt}f(q(t),t) [/tex] equal to ? HINT: Chain rule, you've got both implicit and explicit time dependence.
  7. Jan 2, 2011 #6
    That simply imply that you can sit in a different frame of reference /coordinate and see the system.
    But you can prove that simply,
    When the perfect time derivative dF is added to Lagrangian, to calculate the action you have to integrate a perfect differential dF. Then you get a function F which is the functions of position and momentum coordinates and their variation vanishes at the end points. So the variation of the function F also vanishes.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?