1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Active Power Factor Correction Evaluation Board

1. Feb 24, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi, I'm an electrical engineering degree student from Perlis University, Malaysia (UniMAP) and I'm currently doing a Final Year Project. The title is Active Power Factor Correction. I'm evaluating a Boost APFC Board from STMicroelectronics model EVL6562A-TM-80W. The problem is I am not sure of the evaluation process or what I am suppose to be evaluating really :( I'm lost and I am desperate for some perspective on the matter.

2. Relevant equations

The key words of this project is:
    1. Active Power Factor Correction (APFC)
    2. Boost APFC Design and Critical Performance Parameters
    3. Line Current Harmonics Compliance EN61000-3-2
    4. APFC Simulation
    5. PFC Related Energy Regulations

3. The attempt at a solution

My attempt so far is to probably to conduct and experiment to prove the theory of PF=1 by testing if the current and voltage waveforms of the board are in phase.
    Other than that, my literature search is basically regarding the key-words. Lets say I would like to conduct a test regarding the harmonics. What should I be testing for and how? What else can I do to expand this project?

THANK YOU :)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2013 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You need to apply a nonresistive load to the output of the P.F. Corrector, perhaps with a power factor of ~0.7. For example, a 0.2 uF capacitor capable of withstanding the maximum voltage, in series with a 16K ohm resistor would give you a power factor of cos[arc tan (-1) ~ 0.7. (I am assuming you have 50 Hz power). You then try to measure the phase angle between the input voltage and current to the Corrector to show that it is close to unity. You could put a small current-sampling resistor (maybe 100 ohms) in series with the low side of the Corrector input to determine current and compare that waveform with the input voltage waveform on an oscilloscope. Be sure to put the current-sampling resistor in the low side of the input to the Corrector since the 'scope might not be able to accommodate the high common-mode voltage across the resistor if you put the resistor in the high side.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted