Add searched URL address to your webpage

• Thread starter Mike Phan
  • Start date
In summary, Mike is an EE major seeking help to create a webpage with a search engine that will allow him to save and retrieve URLs from any PC. He knows HTML and some scripting languages, but is not familiar with Perl. He plans to put the site online through his web host, and is considering using a Google page to paste in links as needed. His web host offers tools such as add-ons, a PHP editor, an HTML editor, a text editor, PHP/Perl mail configuration, a Perl editor, a MySQL database, and a Perl guide.
Mike Phan
Hi,

I am an EE major, and my knowledge of CS is limited. So, I need some help from you.

Purpose:
When I search and find some good pages from online, I add them to my Favorites (part of Internet Explorer) from my PC. If I use any other PC, at work for example, I couldn't remember the addresses I saved to my PC's Favorites.

Therefore, I am thinking of writing a code, like HTML or Javascript, for my webpage with search engine so that any time I find a good site, I can save that location (URL address) and write it to my page as my OWN favorite directly. I would go to online and retrieve them out from my webpage on any other PC than my own PC.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Mike P

Technology news on Phys.org
So you're trying to write a page that accepts text (URLs) and adds them, in parsed form, to a page. Right?

Do you know HTML and some scripting language like Perl?

Yes, kind of. I want to save the current page's URL to a page, so that next time I can retrieve this site via my web from any PC. If I save it to the Internet Explorer Favorites, I only find it on the same PC.

I know HTML pretty good, and some other languages, such as Visual Basic, C++, and a litle of javascript. Honestly, I don't know anything about Perl.

Thanks for your help!
Mike Phan

Do you have a web host? How will you put the site online?

Here's a thought -- you could get a Google page and just paste in links as needed.

Does your host let you use scripts? Do you have a cgi-bin directory?

Here they are:

Other Tools for Creating and Editing Web Sites
1. Add-Ons
Enhance your site with ready-to-go features like guestbooks, maps, and forms.
2.PHP
Editor Write, edit, and run your own PHP files and scripts.
3. HTML Editor
Create and update HTML in a simple editor.
4. PHP Guide
Learn about supported PHP functions and using PHP with Yahoo!
5. Text Editor
Use this plain-text editor to modify existing files or write your own HTML or other
code.
6. PHP/Perl Mail Configure your account to enable PHP/Perl mail functions.
7. Perl Editor
Write, edit, and run your own Perl scripts.
8. MySQL Database
Activate, set up, and manage a MySQL database.
9. Perl Guide
Learn about supported Perl modules and using Perl with Yahoo!

1. What is the purpose of adding a searched URL address to my webpage?

Adding a searched URL address to your webpage allows users to easily access external content without leaving your webpage. This can help increase user engagement and improve the overall user experience.

2. How can I add a searched URL address to my webpage?

There are several ways to add a searched URL address to your webpage. You can use HTML anchor tags to create a clickable link, or you can use embedded content such as iframes or widgets to display the external content directly on your webpage.

3. Do I need to ask for permission to add a searched URL address to my webpage?

It is always best to seek permission before adding a searched URL address to your webpage, especially if the content belongs to someone else. This can help avoid copyright infringement and legal issues.

4. Will adding a searched URL address affect my webpage's loading speed?

Adding a searched URL address may slightly increase your webpage's loading speed, depending on the size and complexity of the external content. However, modern browsers and internet connections can handle this without significantly impacting the user experience.

5. Are there any potential downsides to adding a searched URL address to my webpage?

One potential downside is that external content may change or become unavailable, which can result in broken links on your webpage. It is important to regularly check and update these links to ensure a seamless user experience.