Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Add searched URL address to your webpage

1. Apr 29, 2008 #1

I am an EE major, and my knowledge of CS is limited. So, I need some help from you.

When I search and find some good pages from online, I add them to my Favorites (part of Internet Explorer) from my PC. If I use any other PC, at work for example, I couldn't remember the addresses I saved to my PC's Favorites.

Therefore, I am thinking of writing a code, like HTML or Javascript, for my webpage with search engine so that any time I find a good site, I can save that location (URL address) and write it to my page as my OWN favorite directly. I would go to online and retrieve them out from my webpage on any other PC than my own PC.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Mike P
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So you're trying to write a page that accepts text (URLs) and adds them, in parsed form, to a page. Right?

Do you know HTML and some scripting language like Perl?
  4. Apr 29, 2008 #3
    Yes, kind of. I want to save the current page's URL to a page, so that next time I can retrieve this site via my web from any PC. If I save it to the Internet Explorer Favorites, I only find it on the same PC.

I know HTML pretty good, and some other languages, such as Visual Basic, C++, and a litle of javascript. Honestly, I don't know anything about Perl.

Thanks for your help!
    Mike Phan
  5. Apr 30, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you have a web host? How will you put the site online?

Here's a thought -- you could get a Google page and just paste in links as needed.
  6. May 1, 2008 #5
  7. May 1, 2008 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Does your host let you use scripts? Do you have a cgi-bin directory?
  8. May 1, 2008 #7
    Here they are:

Other Tools for Creating and Editing Web Sites
    1. Add-Ons
    Enhance your site with ready-to-go features like guestbooks, maps, and forms.
    Editor Write, edit, and run your own PHP files and scripts.
    3. HTML Editor
    Create and update HTML in a simple editor.
    4. PHP Guide
    Learn about supported PHP functions and using PHP with Yahoo!
    5. Text Editor
    Use this plain-text editor to modify existing files or write your own HTML or other
    6. PHP/Perl Mail Configure your account to enable PHP/Perl mail functions.
    7. Perl Editor
    Write, edit, and run your own Perl scripts.
    8. MySQL Database
    Activate, set up, and manage a MySQL database.
    9. Perl Guide
    Learn about supported Perl modules and using Perl with Yahoo!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?