Adding Components and Finding Magnitude/Angle: Q&A

• Thread starter htk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Components
In summary, to add components together, you will need to use vector addition by breaking down each component into its horizontal and vertical components, adding them separately, and then combining the resulting sums to find the total vector. The magnitude of a vector is the length or size of the vector, which is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem. To find the angle of a vector, you can use trigonometric functions and take the inverse of the function whose value is equal to the ratio of the vertical component to the horizontal component. Vectors with different dimensions cannot be added together, as their components must have the same dimensions. Vector addition is commonly used in physics and engineering to solve real-life problems involving forces, velocities, and displacements.
htk
Given:

at 70 pounds
<60.02, -35>

at 40 pounds
<28.28, 28.28>

at 60 pounds
<-42.43, 42,43>

now add the components to find the resultant of the system and use it to find the magnitude and direction angle. ----------------------> can anyone please explain it to me how to add the components by using those numbers above? and how can I use those number to find the magnitude and direction angle? Thank you for answering my question!

Physics news on Phys.org
If those are vectors and you are asking for the magnitude and direction of each, apply the dot product formula for finding angles.

To add the components, you will need to add the x and y values separately. For example, for the first set of numbers at 70 pounds, you will add 60.02 and -35. This will give you the resultant vector: <60.02, -35>. You will repeat this process for the other two sets of numbers, resulting in two more resultant vectors: <28.28, 28.28> and <-42.43, 42.43>.

To find the magnitude of each resultant vector, you will use the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the magnitude (or length) of a vector is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of its components. In this case, for the first resultant vector, the magnitude would be √(60.02^2 + (-35)^2) = √3604.0004 = 60.01 pounds. You will repeat this process for the other two resultant vectors, resulting in magnitudes of 40 pounds and 60 pounds, respectively.

To find the direction angle, you will use trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. The direction angle is the angle between the resultant vector and the x-axis. To find this angle, you will use the formula: θ = tan^-1(y/x), where y is the y-component and x is the x-component of the resultant vector. For the first resultant vector, the direction angle would be tan^-1(-35/60.02) = -30.59 degrees. You will repeat this process for the other two resultant vectors, resulting in direction angles of 45 degrees and -45 degrees, respectively.

In summary, to add the components, you will add the x and y values separately. To find the magnitude, you will use the Pythagorean theorem. To find the direction angle, you will use trigonometric functions. I hope this helps to explain the process of adding components and finding magnitude/direction angle.

1. How do I add components together?

To add components together, you will need to use vector addition. This involves breaking down each component into its horizontal and vertical components, adding them separately, and then combining the resulting sums to find the total vector.

2. What is the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector is the length or size of the vector. It is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the square of the length of the vector is equal to the sum of the squares of its horizontal and vertical components.

3. How do I find the angle of a vector?

To find the angle of a vector, you can use trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, or tangent. The angle can be calculated by taking the inverse of the function whose value is equal to the ratio of the vertical component to the horizontal component.

4. Can I add vectors with different dimensions?

No, vectors with different dimensions cannot be added together. The components of each vector must have the same dimensions in order for them to be added together.

5. How do I use vector addition to solve real-life problems?

Vector addition is commonly used in physics and engineering to solve real-life problems involving forces, velocities, and displacements. By breaking down vectors into their components and using vector addition, you can accurately calculate the resulting vector and solve the problem at hand.