Adding a constant to potential energy doesn't change action?

In summary, Susskind said that adding a constant to the potential energy does not change the action of a system. The action remains at a minimum, but the value of the action changes.
blaughli
Hello. I've been watching Susskind's online Stanford lectures on classical mechanics to review the subject, and I believe he said that adding a constant to the potential energy does not change the action of a system. I see how it doesn't change the Euler-Lagrange equations and therefore doesn't affect the equations of motion (and therefore the trajectories), yet the integral of a constant is non-zero so I don't see how adding a constant to U in A = ∫(T-U)dt wouldn't change the action A. Where have I gone wrong? There seems to be an inconsistency in saying that the action changes (implying it's not at a minimum and therefore doesn't describe the true trajectory) while the E-L equations don't change (implying no change in trajectory). Thank you, sorry if I'm missing something basic and have wasted your time by not thinking about this more on my own :)

Physics news on Phys.org
It does change the action. However, it does not change the variation of the action. The variation of the action should be taken with respect to the dynamical variables. The potential is not in itself a dynamical variable, but generally a function of them. Adding a constant to the potential does not change the derivatives of the potential.

blaughli said:
There seems to be an inconsistency in saying that the action changes (implying it's not at a minimum and therefore doesn't describe the true trajectory) while the E-L equations don't change (implying no change in trajectory).
Think about adding a constant to a parabola. The location of the minimum does not change, but the value does. Similarly, the path that is stationary will not change, even though the value of the action does.

blaughli said:
There seems to be an inconsistency in saying that the action changes (implying it's not at a minimum and therefore doesn't describe the true trajectory)

It sounds like you are misinterpreting "minimum" In this case, minimum just means the bottom of a curve, such that any incremental change results in a higher action. For example, see the picture below. The red line in this image could represent the constant. Your comment makes it sound like you think minimum must mean y=0 in the picture.

function-minimum-point.png

Attachments

• function-minimum-point.png
    function-minimum-point.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 1,101
anorlunda said:
It sounds like you are misinterpreting "minimum" In this case
Also, this reminds me of my pet peeve:
blaughli said:
implying it's not at a minimum and therefore doesn't describe the true trajectory
The action does not need to be minimal for a path satisfying the equations of motion. The "principle of least action" is a misnomer and it is more accurate to call it the principle of stationary action. Of course, what has been said about minima in this thread also holds for stationary points. A stationary point of an action will continue being a stationary point even if you add a constant to the potential.

blaughli said:
Hello. I've been watching Susskind's online Stanford lectures on classical mechanics to review the subject, and I believe he said that adding a constant to the potential energy does not change the action of a system. I see how it doesn't change the Euler-Lagrange equations and therefore doesn't affect the equations of motion (and therefore the trajectories), yet the integral of a constant is non-zero so I don't see how adding a constant to U in A = ∫(T-U)dt wouldn't change the action A. Where have I gone wrong? There seems to be an inconsistency in saying that the action changes (implying it's not at a minimum and therefore doesn't describe the true trajectory) while the E-L equations don't change (implying no change in trajectory). Thank you, sorry if I'm missing something basic and have wasted your time by not thinking about this more on my own :)
Hey! Can you recall which # of Susskind's lectures this was from?

Related to Adding a constant to potential energy doesn't change action?

1. What is the relationship between potential energy and action?

Potential energy and action are both fundamental concepts in the field of physics, specifically in the study of mechanics. Potential energy is a measure of the energy an object possesses due to its position or configuration, while action is a measure of the total change in energy of a system over a period of time. These two quantities are related through the principle of least action, which states that a system will always follow the path of least action in order to reach a stable state.

2. How does adding a constant to potential energy affect the action of a system?

Adding a constant to potential energy does not change the action of a system. This is because the principle of least action is independent of the specific values of potential energy. As long as the potential energy remains constant throughout the system, the action will remain the same.

3. Why is it important to understand the relationship between potential energy and action?

Understanding the relationship between potential energy and action is crucial in the study of mechanics and other branches of physics. It allows us to make predictions about the behavior of systems and understand the underlying principles that govern their motion. Additionally, it provides a framework for solving complex problems and developing new theories.

4. Can potential energy and action ever be equal?

No, potential energy and action cannot be equal. While they are related through the principle of least action, they are fundamentally different quantities with different units of measurement. Potential energy is measured in joules, while action is measured in joule-seconds or Planck's constant multiplied by time.

5. How does the principle of least action apply to real-world systems?

The principle of least action applies to real-world systems in a variety of ways. It can be used to predict the behavior of objects in motion, such as the trajectory of a projectile or the motion of a pendulum. It also plays a crucial role in the development of quantum mechanics and other theories that seek to understand the fundamental nature of our universe.