How Do You Sum Two DC Voltages in a Laser Spectroscopy Circuit?

In summary, Tom is trying to build a frequency offset locking circuit for laser spectroscopy. He is having trouble understanding the principles behind the circuit, so he is looking for help. He has found a page that provides ideas on how to build the circuit and he is considering using the same resistor values on each of the filter outputs.
Tom_M
Hi all,

Building a frequency offset locking circuit for laser spectroscopy. First electronics project so been hitting a steep learning curve. Long story short, I have two branches in this circuit that take a AC signal run it through a diode and low pass filter to measure the envelope and output a DC voltage. The diode in the second branch is inverted so it gives me a negative voltage. At the end of the two branches I need a way to connect them so that the output is a sum of the 2 DC voltages...eg, when both branches are .2mV (one +, one -) the output is 0, as its being used as the error signal to the laser servo. The paper I'm working off uses a resister after each filter and then one more resister after the branches are connected...would that work? What principle is it using so I can figure out how to choose the values of the resister based on modifications I've made to the circuit design.

Cheers,
Tom

Engineering news on Phys.org
The traditional way to sum DC voltages is with an operational amplifier. For example, the picture below shows how to sum V1+V2+V3.

IFD2550_F1.gif

Unless you need to reduce the output voltage, the "...one more resistor after the branches are connected" generally isn't needed.

Just use the same resistor values on each of the filter outputs... or if this is not a production item and the filters don't quite match, change a resistor value as needed for a better match.
A summing amplifier is just your two resistors with gain added if needed. If you need a higher voltage for the next stage or if the next stage loads down the signal too much, make it a summing amplifier.

What is the purpose of adding DC voltage signals?

The purpose of adding DC voltage signals is to increase or decrease the overall voltage level of a circuit. This can be useful in applications such as power supply systems, audio amplifiers, and signal conditioning.

How do you add DC voltage signals?

To add DC voltage signals, you can use a simple circuit with resistors in series or a more complex circuit with operational amplifiers and feedback loops. The exact method will depend on the specific application and the desired output voltage.

What is the difference between adding DC voltage signals and combining DC voltage sources?

Adding DC voltage signals involves mathematically adding the voltage values together, while combining DC voltage sources involves physically connecting the voltage sources in parallel. Combining voltage sources can result in a higher overall output current, while adding voltage signals will not.

Can I add DC voltage signals with different polarities?

Yes, you can add DC voltage signals with different polarities, as long as the positive and negative terminals of each signal are correctly connected. When adding signals with different polarities, the resulting voltage will be the difference between the two signals.

Are there any limitations to adding DC voltage signals?

Yes, there are limitations to adding DC voltage signals. The main limitation is that the voltage signals must be within the same voltage range. If one signal has a higher voltage than the other, the resulting voltage may be distorted or may even damage the circuit components.